Widows entitlement to state pension

Options
1235»

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    She needs to get a Pension Forecast:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/StatePensionforecast/DG_10014008

If her weekly income from all sources is less than £137, it will be made up to this amount by Pension Credit.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/benefitstaxcreditsandothersupport/on_a_low_income/dg_10018692

She may also be entitled to Council Tax Benefit and, if she rents, Houing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance.

One more thing -If she is not yet receiving her State Pension she must be younger than me (61)..... I hope that you do not really consider this to be 'elderly'! :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • whiskyman
    whiskyman Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys

I was chatting with an elderly friend this week and she was wandering what will happen when she reaches pension age and receives her state pension. Currently she receives a Widows pension and was wandering if her state pension when she receives it eventually will be of equal value to her Widows pension.

I've had a look around the internet for information but this pension stuff is somewhat confusing to myself and i am struggling to find concrete information whether the above is true or not.

Cheers.

Hi

A widow is normally better off claiming the State Pension. When she claims her State Pension she can ask that they check that she is better off on the Pension. Normally she will recieve not only her Sp but depending on various factors a proportion of her late husbands Additional pension on which her Widows pension is partially based.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Will this extremely youthful lady be better off using her own contribution record or those of her late husband? When this happened to me - and no, I did not consider myself to be 'elderly' - the Pensions Service gave me the option, and I chose the one that was more favourable to me.

In fact I had been wandering about like a lost sheep until I made the decision to use my own contribution record because that was more favourable.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Jaqb
    Jaqb Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Please could someone advise me! My husband died Two years ago aged 47, I was 44 at the time (too young to qualify for widows allowance!) I am on Incapcity benefit and have started receiving a widows occupational pension from my husbands work. I am having tax deducted from this. Should I be paying tax on this? Thank you
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Jaqb wrote: »
    Please could someone advise me! My husband died Two years ago aged 47, I was 44 at the time (too young to qualify for widows allowance!) I am on Incapcity benefit and have started receiving a widows occupational pension from my husbands work. I am having tax deducted from this. Should I be paying tax on this? Thank you

If it's over £8105pa ( the personal allowance) then yes you will be paying tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure