Widows entitlement to state pension

Options

Comments

• Niggles
    Niggles Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    I deal with a number of people in precisely your mother's situation who can't understand why they are eligible for two pensions and sometimes three or four. But be assured, as stated above, that your mother is entitled to both pensions.

As to ensuring you are paying the right tax, this is important, it is because the state pension is ALWAYS paid without tax deduction, though it is taxable. I have many people who think the state pension is tax free and end up not paying enough tax on their total income.

You should have received a "notice of coding" from the tax office that handles the Unilever pension. This coding notice should have an entry which reduces your mother's personal allowance by the value of the state pension she is receiving. If this is the case then all is OK from a tax point of view, if there is no reduction for the SP then your mother is paying too littel tax and you need to write to the tax office to inform them of her state pension.
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    My friend's husband has died recently, does she lose his state pension? She is still getting it!!(£146 a week!!) She only paid married woman's when she was at work so got some entitlement from his government pension.

I thought she lost it and got a Widow's Pension of about ninety pounds a week, another friend of mine is in that position, and also gets half of her husband's company pension that was. The one named in the first paragraph here gets a very small private pension from his work.

I have told her to watch the tax allowance, she is 74.

Any help would oblige. Thanks, I see single persons allowance is around £9000 a year for tax.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 December 2009 at 12:31PM
    Options
    She will get the full single State Pension (£95 a week) because she is a widow and some of her husband's SERPS (not sure how much).

As regards Company Pension, that is up to the individual Pension scheme what arrangements they have.

If all this is less than £130 a week , she will be entitled to Pension Credit which will make it up to that amount.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    oap wrote: »
    My friend's husband has died recently, does she lose his state pension? She is still getting it!!(£146 a week!!)

She should get the full basic state pension £95 a week) plus between 50% and 100% of his additional (SERPS) pensions which looks to be around £50 a week.The 100% applies to older women, so looks like she is benefitting. :)

I have told her to watch the tax allowance, she is 74.

Any help would oblige. Thanks, I see single persons allowance is around £9000 a year for tax.

£9490 at the moment so she should be fine.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • bexta007
    Options
    Hi can anyone help im 53 years old and my husband is 75 if he dies will i be entitled to widows pension ? i work part time but have no idea if i will be entitled......
    any help would be grateful thanks
  • oap1942
    Options
    Similar question to bexta007, I am 68 and receiving my state pension. My wife is 48 and being American has no employment contributions in the UK. If I predecease her, will she qualify for widow's pension if she is still below retirement age?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    bexta007 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone help im 53 years old and my husband is 75 if he dies will i be entitled to widows pension ? i work part time but have no idea if i will be entitled......
    any help would be grateful thanks
    oap1942 wrote: »
    Similar question to bexta007, I am 68 and receiving my state pension. My wife is 48 and being American has no employment contributions in the UK. If I predecease her, will she qualify for widow's pension if she is still below retirement age?

No such thing now as a Widow's Pension. It has been replaced by Bereavement Allowance.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Bereaved/DG_10018684
  • spurs1967
    Options
    Hello, my brother in law recently past away aged 56, what would his wife be entitled to claim in terms of a widows pension and is she entitled to the berevement allowance and what forms does she need to complete please. Gaz
  • RichandJ
    RichandJ Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    It only takes one tree to make a thousand matches, it only takes one match to burn a thousand trees. As well, the cars are all passing me, bright lights are flashing me.

Johnny Was. Once.

Why did he think "systolic" ?
  • StrologicallySpaced
    StrologicallySpaced Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 2 August 2011 at 9:32AM
    Options
    Hi guys

I was chatting with an elderly friend this week and she was wandering what will happen when she reaches pension age and receives her state pension. Currently she receives a Widows pension and was wandering if her state pension when she receives it eventually will be of equal value to her Widows pension.

I've had a look around the internet for information but this pension stuff is somewhat confusing to myself and i am struggling to find concrete information whether the above is true or not.

Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport