We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
NHS App - third party access
Firstly, not sure if this is the best forum. Please forgive me if there's a more appropriate one. I'm not a regular contributor.
My sister is trying to get third party access to our elderly father's NHS app. She's filled in all the appropriate forms, got his consent etc. The staff at his GP practice say they have done everything at their end, but...
She does not see the menu options the instructions say she should see. So she cannot get any further.
I'm hoping someone on here might be familiar with the whole process and will be able to fill in the blanks.
Although as I say, it's my sister so I can't see what she sees or try different things straight away. I suggested she tries posting here but in the end I decided to try myself. As we're going round in circles.
I realise I haven't given much to go on. I'm hoping someone here has it set up and remembers all the steps they had to take. And I can then check them with my sister.
I realise it's a long shot.
Comments
-
Is this related to England? If so on the NHS App, click profile and under her name, DOB and NHS number should be the option for "family and carer access" where it states "manage another person's profile". It then goes on to say that you can only add people at the same GP surgery as you though, is that the case?
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time1 -
I confess I'm woolly on all this. I'm sure she's been told what she's applied for doesn't matter that she's not under the same GP. Completely different parts of England.
This is what she's told me.
Basically - as I understand it - I should be able to:
1. open my NHS app
2. go into my profile
3. select ‘Manage someone else’s healthcare’ (or something like that)
4. Dad’s name should appear
5. select his name, and at that point should be prompted to input the password etc provided by his practice.
But Step 4 isn’t happening. Instead of Dad’s name it says, “You don’t have anyone added to your app” (or similar words).
0 -
I tried to add my son as he has learned disabilities and can't do it himself. I wasn't successful and was told by my gp practice that it wasn't possible due to data protection. So I need to phone and go into the surgery for his issues.
2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32
1 -
At my wifes GP and also my GP it is System on line they both use and surgeries gave me log in details and access is easy and gives lots of personal medical details.
Is this NHS App mentioned something different ?
1 -
You need the NHS android oy iPhone app
1 -
I went about it in completely different way, as I didn;t realise that there is an option to piggyback someone else onto your own account as you suggest (and I'm not with the same GP as my mother, so probably couldn' have used it if I had been).
I used a separate email address to mine for my mother (I already had one that I used to monitor her finances as I have LpoA for both finance and health) and set up her own NHS app account for her that way (I already had it on my phone in my name). As she had no means of Id (no passport or driving licence) the app requested some codes from her GP surgery to confirm her identity and alllow full access. I got in touch with them and although they were initially hesitant due to GDPR issues, I explained that I already had health PoA for her logged with them, and wanted the app in order to ensure that I was correctly picking up any changes made to her medication, as currently I was reordering her prescription every month from a paper list that I could not rely on being up to date. They accepted this and gave me the codes to enable me to fully set up the account.
Unfortunately mum died a couple of months after this so I didn;t get to use it much….
3 -
Thanks. We have considered just logging into his app directly with his own login. Even if that means using a different phone to avoid confusion.
But third party access is (apparently) possible! And as he has more than one child who take turns to help him, we all want this access. My sister was going to do it first and once she was set up, we would follow. Which is all possible apparently! Except she's getting nowhere.
To be clear, what this page says:
It does say you have to be at the same GP but the staff at his GP say this shouldn't matter. Although maybe that's the blocker.
But how many people are at the same GP as their parents?! We're all over the country! I'm only a few miles away but different GPs nonetheless.
0 -
If the official “family and carer access” only works when the relative is registered at the same GP surgery, that must exclude a lot of adult children helping elderly parents who live elsewhere.
Presumably people can simply set up the NHS App in the parent’s own name on a separate phone, complete the identity checks, and then share the login details between whichever family members are helping them. That would obviously be less secure and less auditable than proper proxy access, but the system seems to push people towards exactly that workaround.
2 -
I have my wife on the same app as we have the same surgery but I log in as my mum using her ID and password for assisting her. You don't even need a separate phone, just log out of your account on the app and log in as her.
2 -
I think the only thing may be that you need to have the same telephone number registered for each account (At least that was what I was told when I set it up for my mother ?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


