We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Locksley law… proving I didn’t sign their contract…

rubbish title I know!

went onto one of the car finance free eligibility checkers last year, came up with you are eligible for a claim.


pretty sure I then saw, on the same day, I could do it myself, so went down that route instead.


I’ve had a couple of emails from locksley law (free checker), but I mostly ignored/deleted them, as it seemed spam.

I did then question it, saying when did I sign anything to say I wanted you to act for me, I don’t want you to. They then replied saying it’s in the t & c’s, 14 day cool off period, then you owe us money if you cancel.


they still haven’t proved to me that I have agreed to them acting on my behalf. Any suggestions what I can ask for as proof that I’ve agreed to use them for the claim?

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Going back to the title… there is no requirement for a contract to be signed to be legally enforceable… when was the last time you had to sign a contract when doing your weekly grocery shopping?

    Many of these online checkers required you to agree to the terms and conditions of the site either by a checkbox or simply by stating that clicking the "i agree" button to submit the form is the agreement to it. Obviously many people dont actually bother reading what they are agreeing to but several of these sites were created by claims management firms and those T&Cs you agreed to was signing you up to their service.

    Its best to at least scan read "spam" from a new company just in case it isnt spam. Had you then you could have cancelled within the 14 days which is the guardrail against those who dont bother reading what they are agreeing to.

    There is no such thing as a free lunch, if you dont know what the product is, then you are the product.

  • MasterG83
    MasterG83 Posts: 813 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Just let them chase your agreement. Easier than fighting a battle, likely that some of these are going to go under after recent action from the FCA on raids of unscrupulous ambulance chasers.

    Interested to hear what your claim was for? Which company are you claiming against, you signed saying you were happy to borrow the money?

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Please complete an SOA if you are looking for debt advice. Link here - https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Baby Step 6/7 . £20000 + saved and invested. £47,000 deposit paid on new home CONSUMER DEBT FREE !!!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,852 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    went onto one of the car finance free eligibility checkers last year, came up with you are eligible for a claim.

    Most of these actually enter you into a contract for them to act on your behalf.

    The FCA & SRA are currently investigating companies that have used that method.

    https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/joint-taskforce-continues-crack-down-misleading-car-finance-claims-adverts

    Given the current regulatory focus, it would be very difficult for a claims company to enforce a claim against you. However, do remember that claims companies are largely unscrupulous shysters. You should see some of the rubbish claims companies send financial firms in attempts to try and extort money from them. Well, they're now starting to treat consumers the same way.

    That web page gives you a template to complain to the claims company.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • fiendishlyclever
    fiendishlyclever Posts: 479 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I had the same. I pointed out that I had only filed an enquiry, heard nothing from them for months so had used the credit reference service to find my loans and already filed individual complaints with them.

    I received an email cancelling the agreement.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.