We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Entry level running shoe
I use running in the loosest sense of the word, I'm a very much a plodder.
I've never been a runner, but have tried on and off a few times. Started back up a couple of weeks ago with a cheap Karrimor running shoe, they feel too wide and lack support. I Surprised myself that I could run/jog 2 miles without stopping (even to walk) albeit slow so want to keep going and try and achieve a 30 min 5k. Early days but I think I'd like to work up to perhaps 10k but that's some way off.
So I'd like recommendations for a ladies entry level running shoe, preferably around the £60 mark, my best intentions when nice and dry may fall by the wayside when it's cold dark wet morning.
If I was more advanced I'd get a gait analysis and probably invest in Hoka or Brooks, but that's not today.
So any recommendations please?
I'm a size 4.5-5
I run mainly on path, but if I go back to parkrun it'll be grass - would prefer one shoe to suit both.
Many thanks
Make £2024 in 2024...
Comments
-
is there anyway you can actually go and try them on because that is the best way? I found new balance works best for me when I started on my couch to 5K.
For what it’s worth I never got any further than the 5K because I then decided I didn’t enjoy running. Nothing to do with the shoes though. I tried Asics at the same time but new balance just felt better. Also a woman with similar size feet to you.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.0 -
Thank you Elsien.
I can yes, we have an outlet and a few specialist shops semi local. I just thought I'd try and get an idea first.
I'm still not convinced I like running but I love being able to run so just want to achieve a little more than I am.
I hated cross country at school, and it wasn't until I was an adult I realised I found running hard because I'd run and forget to breathe, definitely better breathing!
Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023
Make £2024 in 2024...0 -
Another vote for New Balance here, maybe something like the 680's.
1 -
Definitely go to a store and get fitted for them - it doesn't cost anything and it'll give you a good idea of what you like/don't like and whether you should be thinking about stability or not.
That said, the adidas duramo series, and the Brooks Revel series are both good starter shoes. The newest version is above your budget but they're often on sale, and last seasons shoes can be had for £50-60.
0 -
Thanks all, I shall spend some time in our nearest outlet, but really useful to have a few ideas to go with.
Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023
Make £2024 in 2024...0 -
Have just asked my partner (who runs a lot and reads/watches a LOT of running shoe reviews!), and he suggests the Puma Velocity Nitro 4 - the latest versions are the 5s, so you can get the 4s quite heavily reduced now - the RRP is >£100, so you'd be getting some better quality foam for your £60 if you could find a suitable pair! Run North West have certain colours/sizes for £60, and you may be able to get a first order discount on top of this (I've used them before - they are a good shop). He's recommended them to a couple of people he works with, who have got on well with them.
Caveat: he does say they may not be the most stable shoe if you have stability needs.
Definitely agree with visiting a store and getting fitted, though, especially with regard to the above sentence! But in general, the policy of finding previous seasons' or years' versions is a good one and has served me well, now that I know what I like.
1 -
If the outlet nearby has an Asics store, I can recommend their fitting service, my local one has gait analysis too. My last pair a few weeks ago were last years Gel-Excite model and cost me £39
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

