We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Why can't I list...?

Royal British Legion poppy pins?

There are hundreds already listed - I've even bought some from eBay myself!

But I get a message:

"The sale of Royal British Legion poppy pins or brooches is not permitted on eBay as these are typically sold for charitable purposes."

I understand the message but how have other sellers managed to list?

«1

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,569
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Maybe the other sellers listed before a rule change?

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 3 August at 12:19PM

    the rule has been in for ages, it is not uncommon for these not to be resold , even the auction house I used to use would not catalogue remembrance poppy jewellery.

    Some people get caught quicker than others , it’s the same with everything.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 3 August at 12:22PM

    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-public-urged-to-be-aware-of-poppy-merchandise-scams


    it looks like a bit of a double whammy, protection against fakes plus it being a registered image/trademark.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,596
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite

    My pins were purchased directly from 'The Poppy Shop', the RBL online shop.

    I spend a fair amount each year buying brooches and pins from them.

    Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen does a special design each year that goes on various merchandise:

    image.png

    "Renowned designer Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen has once again created an exclusive pattern for the Royal British Legion’s Remembrance collection. This year’s design draws inspiration from the bold elegance of the Art Deco era, combining sweeping geometric lines with the enduring symbol of the poppy.

    True to LLB’s signature style, the artwork began as an original drawing, brought to life through a confident, striking palette that reflects both strength and beauty. The design is featured across a limited collection of accessories and stationery, each piece created to be treasured.

    By purchasing from the collection, you are supporting the Royal British Legion’s vital work with the Armed Forces community, past and present."

    I paid £25.00 for a LLB brooch last year and even more for a special Enigma brooch a couple of years ago, directly from The Poppy Shop..

    image.png

    My items are not fakes.

    They are original, genuine RBL items.

    It's possible that I even have the boxes they came in.

    I might just spend some time reporting these sellers.

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,141
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I think the RBL have been really tightening up on the use of the poppy name and image recently and seem very protective - they recently came down hard on a taxi charity who ferry veterans on remembrance day and made them change their name

    Beloved Poppy Cabs forced to change name after Royal British Legion trademark dispute

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,596
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite

    Despite being a long time supporter of RBL - I used to sell paper poppies outside my local government offices over 55 years ago - this article doesn't resonate well with me.

    Well done to the taxi drivers for providing a free service.

    Still, this is going off topic.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    That's probably why you got caught , someone else got their listing pulled and start reporting every one.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,596
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite

    I've messaged eBay customer service and asked why there are so many listings for poppy brooches/badges/pins when it is not allowed.

  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 1,406
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

    Maybe they've done slight listing on specifics flower badge. I remember getting reported for selling Saudi 70's cassette tapes a certain brand dropped the brand and was able to sell.

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,352
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I had the same problem trying to sell my old iPhone on marketplace. Every time I tried to list it it was rejected as being "fake" even though there are hundreds of iPhone listed. I was never able to do it despite even copying the exact working of another ad just changing the model number. I think it was because mine was a really old model so they didn't recognize it as being real or it was simply too cheap.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.