We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
At a loss - what do I need to look for?
My feature phone died and new one didn't work out. So I want to get a smartphone.
All it needs to do is enable voice calls, texts, and WhatsAp (as all my friends seem to live on that now). And a PAYG sim would be fine.
I really have no idea what to look for if I go into a phone shop or look online. (Online Curry's doesn't even have a designated smartphone category.)
I just feel rather dim. Other than "ask a 14-y-o", what should I do if I don't want to admit to being a complete idiot in a shop?
Thanks.
GG
Comments
-
Tesco Mobile bit of Tesco.
Generally have two assistants, a 14 yo and someone of more mature years.
Have a word with the latter on a quiet bit of the day.
4 -
I don't know, but thank you for asking the question, as I am in a similar position!
KK
As at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 72 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 10th October.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.2 -
Hi GG, please don't feel dim at all! Smartphone jargon is ridiculously confusing when all you want is a reliable handset for calls, texts, and WhatsApp.
You don't need to spend a fortune or buy anything complicated. Look online or in-store for a basic entry-level Android phone like a Motorola Moto E series or a Samsung Galaxy A14 or A15. They usually cost under £100 to £120 refurbished or brand new, have decent screen sizes, and run WhatsApp smoothly without any fuss.
When it comes to the SIM, stay away from long contracts like me. You can easily get a flexible 30-day Pay As You Go rolling plan from providers like giffgaff, Lebara, VOXI, or Smarty. You just pop the SIM card into the phone, set up a simple monthly payment for around £6 to £8, and you get unlimited calls, texts, and plenty of data for WhatsApp messages and photo sharing.
2 -
When you say feature phone was this with a sim card on a network already. In which case you'd just need to buy a phone.
There's a few posts on here about payg or low user plans.
Work out how many calls/minutes of calls you make a month. What's app uses data so you'll need some of that.
Low tariff sims look at 1p mobile, top up every 90 days. You could get an o2 classic payg sim (Only available on ebay for about 20p). RWG or Now mobile. Many payg or low tariffs are about £5 a month now this might be something like giff gaff.
In terms of phones dont go for very cheap if you want a smartphone they tend to run out of memory by the time you've installed a few apps. I'd get something with minimum of 32gb. Ideally now 128gb. A reasonable phone would be in the region of £150-200. Can be brought off Amazon so you dont need to go to a shop if you dont want to. Also consider security updates, Samsung would be about 5 years.
2 -
I second this suggestion. The 2 at the local Tescos were very nice and patient with my OH and explained everything when his previous phone had died. Of course he's forgotten a lot of what they said and curses the phone regularly but he won't go back for another lesson.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅2 -
I'd recommend Giffgaff, as a long time customer I've nothing but good to say about them, once you know what phone you want have a look at their refurbished models, I purchased one a couple of years ago and it was as new, I have a low level £6 a month rolling contract, not sure if they do a lower one but worth a look.
"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "3 -
I bought an Honor one at £68 from Argos. It would do what you need, battery life is good and charging ok.
Easy to use…clear screen to read. The camera is not great but does the job. Volume clear.
I need to swap mine even though it's new. I have small hands and find holding a square edged phone uncomfortable. So it's worth looking at anywhere you can hold them, see if it makes any difference to you..
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
3 -
Check if your local Council has a support group for 'silver surfers'; Age Concern and U3A also have similar.
0 -
If you use a Mac then get an Apple iPhone, if you use Windows then get a Samsung; both these companies offer multi-year support for their mobis.
Get one with fingerprint reader or face unlock, entering PINs becomes tedious
Ask to be shown how to use Accessibility features to make the screen and audio optimal for your needs
Smartphones and WhatsApp need internet data which can get expensive on PAYG if there's a charge per megabyte. Ensure that the plan includes 3 to 5GB data per month and that's capped to avoid 'bill shock', or ideally unlimited data. In the home, you'll want to be using your WiFi, of course.
Don't be bamboozled into buying 'anti virus' apps, Apple and Android phones have this built in.
2 -
If you use a Mac then get an Apple iPhone, if you use Windows then get a Samsung;
The two most expensive brands……
Smartphones and WhatsApp need internet data which can get expensive on PAYG if there's a charge per megabyte. Ensure that the plan includes 3 to 5GB data per month and that's capped to avoid 'bill shock', or ideally unlimited data. In the home, you'll want to be using your WiFi, of course
If you use Wifi at home and then when out only use Whats App; satnav apps; internet browsing etcyou probably will not even get close to using 1 GB a month. Although I agree that a 3GB plan is probably the best idea as they are so cheap anyway.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards





