We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2026

2

Comments

  • Clutterbug07
    Clutterbug07 Posts: 561 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Huge post there, so splitting it in two!

    Have a few INS to report also:

    • Glisten Cosmetics - Maroon Mascara: Totally unnecessary purchase. I was buying some Halloween mascara and black lippie (which I don't count here as it's a Halloween purchase, rather than a makeup purchase….. girl math?), and I'd been wanting to try a maroon or purpley mascara for a while. Sadly I do not love it on me, so will use it on WFH days/days when I am not doing much or seeing anyone. Perhaps I am too used to thick black mascara but it just looks a bit odd?
    • Bellabeautébar Dream Lip Sparkle Balm - in shade Portal: Nudey with purplish sparkle- v pretty! I was buying the black one for Halloween and then just plonked these two in my cart as well! 🙄
    • Bellabeautébar Dream Lip Sparkle Balm - in shade Dimension: Brown lipbalm with sparkles- also pretty. Also a total impulse purchase!

    And I hit some eyeshadow pans too- am on a bit of a roll- I've hit 6 pans in August now!

    • XX Revolution Kombucha palette- shade 23: a peachy matt shade, nice for blending out warm looks or the inner swoop area.
    • Beauty Bay- Mini Charms (9 pan) palette- in shade Cosmic: very light baby blue shimmer- love this on the inner corner when I do a blue/purple look
    • Beauty Bay - Tropical palette- in shade Daiquiri: a light pink matt shade, also nice for blending out or the inner swoop.
    Jan Grocery Challenge 2023:  £181.18/£400
    OSWLC 2023 Q1:  0/10
  • Hodgepodge
    Hodgepodge Posts: 228 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Re the maroon mascara - you can just use it on your bottom lashes (with the usual black on the top) or use it to tip your lashes with.

    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
  • Clutterbug07
    Clutterbug07 Posts: 561 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I tried the black with maroon on top/tips and I liked that @Hodgepodge - thanks for the tip, that looked cool!

    Jan Grocery Challenge 2023:  £181.18/£400
    OSWLC 2023 Q1:  0/10
  • Clutterbug07
    Clutterbug07 Posts: 561 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Final ins and outs for the month

    UU

    • Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water- Sensitive 700ml
    • Rimmel 60 Seconds Super Shine Nail Polish Clear: Used this up to restore two glitter nail polishes that were drying out.
    • Extracts Cherry Blossom hand cream: Think this was a stocking present one Christmas. Alright, wouldn't have picked it myself, the scent is not my fave.
    • Radox Mineral Therapy Feel Uplifted Shower Gel 675ml- Grapefruit and Ginger: Nice scent, big bottle, WBA
    • Revolution Sport Fix Fixing Spray 100ml: getting through these mighty quickly this summer!

    Throw Aways

    Had a bit of a clear out of some single eyeshadows- loose pigments. I still have MANY loose pigments, but these ones I just NEVER wear unless I'm forcing myself.

    • Sugarpill loose eyeshadow in Tipsy: Grassy green. I used to use loose eyeshadow all the time, but now I prefer palettes and I hardly ever use my loose shadows anymore- they're just taking up space. I've kept many, but for greens, I prefer the ones in my palette so I know I won't use these unless I force myself
    • Sugarpill loose eyeshadow in Hug Life: minty green
    • Sugarpill loose eyeshadow in Absinthe: Lighter grassy green
    • Sugarpill loose eyeshadow in Darling: Turquoise. Definitely would use my palettes for a turquoise if I needed one as this is too messy and the colour payoff isn't great now as it's so old.
    • Barry M loose eyeshadow in shade 72: A dark green shimmer. I'd use ones in my palettes before using this one. I think this was actually a GWP a while ago!

    INs

    Went out with a girlfriend last weekend as a celebration of A Level results day being done and getting over the main hump of Clearing, and naturally we ended up in Boots n Superdrug swatching all the pretties. Nothing was expensive at least!

    • Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water- Sensitive 700ml: replacement
    • Radox shower gel 450ml - Peach and Pineapple scent:Replacement. AND Superdrug was BOGOF, so I got the second one for free!
    • Radox shower gel 450ml - Feel Awake Sea Minerals and Fennel scent
    • Soltan Once SPF 50: replacement
    • Revolution Sports Fix setting spray: replacement. Though I was a dope and didn't check my stash first, cos I already HAD the replacement…. oh well, I at least get through this product quickly enough.

    And now for the naughty purchases….

    • Maybelline Glaze lipbalm- 003 Rose Bite: Colour is a perfect replacement for the MAC glowplay lipbalm I just finished, it's so pretty! They had three for two. My bestie wanted one in a different shade, so I got the third one.
    • Maybelline Glaze lipbalm- 006 Caramel Glow: Nudey brownish- I'll use this up easy!
    • NYX Butter Gloss in She Got Money: Sparkly pink gloss- for cool looks. Was after something like this, as I don't have anything at the moment.
    • Essence Soft Baked Blush in Peach Please: Inexpensive treat to myself- nice glowy peachy blush. Have been using it all week and I love it!

    And my friend brought me a few gifts from France

    • LRP Cicaplast Mains hand cream: it's such a lovely hand cream, very rich! And it IS different to the regular cicaplast baume- it's like that mixed with a vaseliney inclusive texture- it's so good for the cold months- I like to use it when watching tv of an evening and I can sit there and let it all sink in.
    • Le Petit Marseillais lavendar liquid handsoap: I don't always love lavender scented products but this hand soap smells so lovely, not fake smelling
    Jan Grocery Challenge 2023:  £181.18/£400
    OSWLC 2023 Q1:  0/10
  • Clutterbug07
    Clutterbug07 Posts: 561 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Month tallies….. are really quite embarrassing this month! I am not a good example of not buying unnecessary items :-(

    INS: 21….. of which 2 were gifts, 13 replacements, 6 unnecessary items)

    OUTS: 28 (15 throw aways, 13 UUs)

    Overall: 7 less items in my collection.

    Jan Grocery Challenge 2023:  £181.18/£400
    OSWLC 2023 Q1:  0/10
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,688 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    UU's

    Chanel Lift Lumiere Foundation Smoothing and Fluid Makeup SPF 15 30 mls

    Soap & Glory - Sugar Crush Body Scrub - 50mls

    Issy Miyake sample perfume - 0.8mls

    Prada perfume sample - paradox -1.2 mls

    Bubble Body Wash Neroli and Tangerine 100mls

    Tarte Big Ego Brow Pencil and Gel

    Abyssinian Oil - Aroma Facial Concentrate 30 mls

    LCVC- Loose face powder

    Perfume sample Joyphoria - Charlette Tillbury - 1.5mls

    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.



    My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

    My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum
                               

                                                                                                                                  
  • Hodgepodge
    Hodgepodge Posts: 228 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'd say that 6 out of 21 isn't that bad for unnecessary purchases

    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,688 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    UU - Attitude Super Leaves Colorladt Shampoo - 473 mls

    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.



    My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

    My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum
                               

                                                                                                                                  
  • Hodgepodge
    Hodgepodge Posts: 228 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Shiny new thread for September

    September 2026 thread

    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
  • Hodgepodge
    Hodgepodge Posts: 228 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Final UUs for August

    B. Cleansing Balm Shea Butter Superdrug wbna not in this fragrance, love the rosehip, chamomile and grapefruit versions and wish they did them all in the big sizes
    The Performance Eye Gel Jordan Samuel Skin wnba sadly my skin now doesn't like this and it has been relegated to use on the backs of my hands (and is therefore out of my skincare stash, which only includes facial skincare)
    Eye Area Complex Josh Rosebrook wnba I actually liked this but it is too expensive
    The Matinee Gel Moisturiser Jordan Samuel Skin wnba got as a freebie and I just don't love it
    Superdrops Brightening Niacinamide 10% Beauty Pie wba got this as a mini in a BP kit, loved it and then got a full size in a Liberty Beauty Drop box (now unsubscribed)
    Green Tea Ceramide Milk Innisfree wnba It was nice to use but that's about it

    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.