We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2026
If your beauty and toiletries are taking over your life, then this is the thread to help you work through the stash and motivate you to not buy anymore (hopefully!)
Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.
Thanks to me :-) for starting last month's thread!
Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)
Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes, and cupboards!
We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:
"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"
Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.
Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:
Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?
How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".
Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).
Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.
Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).
Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.
Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).
Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier
Also, why not reward your efforts by banking and recycling your use ups/throw aways with Boots scan2recycle points at participating Boots stores: Recycle at Boots - Get rewarded for recycling - Boots
Alternatively, simply drop them off at Maybelline Recycling points: www.maybelline.co.uk . Unfortunately, you won't be rewarded for the latter but the earth will thank you :-)
It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!
Good luck all for this month and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!
Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.
Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!
Useful abbreviations and jargon!
WBA - Will Buy Again
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ- Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up
If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!
Comments
-
3 UUs to start August off!
Vitamin C Brightening Booster Neal's Yard wnba A nice enough serum to use but if prefer others more
Water Bank Laneige wmba a really nice day cream, lovely texture and scent and not too heavy for hot days
Sake Toning Essence Shani Darden wnba A really nice toning essence and I have another to use next but inexpensive mists work just as wellUse it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
I've not much to report yet of INS and UUs so I'll wait a bit longer for reporting that, but I wanted to announce that I did NOT buy the Cosmic Brushes eyeshadow palette I'd been salivating over- get me, I resisted!!!! 😇 I'm going to put it on my Christmas list for our Secret Santa instead. back pat back pat 🤣
Jan Grocery Challenge 2023: £181.18/£400
OSWLC 2023 Q1: 0/101 -
Congratulations…we are so proud of you!
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
No UUs but I have cancelled my Look Fantastic monthly beauty box.
My subscription ends in Sept so I will get that box then no more!
I actually liked this box as I got to try lots of stuff and did find some things I want to keep buying, but I am simplifying my beauty buying and want to start just getting the things I really love and not wanting to keep trying newness.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
Ooo I'm on a roll
Just cancelled my Liberty Beauty Drop. I'm going to save the subscription amount and use it to buy just the things I really love. See post above ☝️
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
A few to report…
UU's
Body Shop shea butter body scrub mini - love this, WBA, though I'm wondering if body scrubs are worth it and I should simplify by just using scrubby gloves.
Li Lash eyelash serum - was a gift from my girls for my sparse lashes and brows. I have another from The Ordinary to replace it.
Primark brow sketch in blonde - cheap and cheerful, from my small kit I leave at the office for touch ups as I cycle to work. Like this, perfect colour match for me. I've got one from Essence to try next, but this may be a HG contender.
Colgate max white mini - also from office.
Femfresh - intimate wipes - ok but they don't appear to be biodegradable.
Loreal Elvive Full Restore shampoo - giant bottle was from my Mum. Nice enough shampoo but the company allows animal testing so I wouldn't buy this brand myself.
Cien antiperspirant original - smells just like Dove. New favourite I think.
A few ins to report. None of it strictly needed, but I'm going into hospital for the day for a few unpleasant tests. I hate the smells in hospital so I bought a few bits in Home Bargains to stay fresh. I managed to avoid the temptation of any more lipbalms though!
INNS
X2 Sol de Janeiro 68 mini
x 1 Sol de Janeiro delicia body butter mini
Love Hearts hand sanitizer spray keychain
No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!1 -
Ooh well done @Hodgepodge for cancelling two subscriptions, that's great work!
@shandyclover hope your hospital day goes ok! Understandable you would want to take a bit of comfort with you!
I have a few ins and outs to report. My reporting this month might be a bit haphazard as it's my busiest month at work (I work in Admissions at a uni….), but I'll do my best. I also cannot guarantee that I won't treat myself to some makeup after a testing month! 🤣
UUs
- Vibrant Vinyls- Fast & Hard Top Coat: My 3 year old nephew dropped this on a hard floor and it smashed…. my brother got nail polish and smashed bits of the glass bottle stuck in his leg hairs…. funny not funny 🤣 No brothers were harmed I promise, but he did have a shiny leg for a while 🤣
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Brunette Colour: love this, bought replacement
- Sure Nonstop Protection Anti-Perspirant Aerosol Watermelon Fresh 250ml: my deo at work, done.
- Boots Anti-Dandruff Ketoconazole 2%: will replace once I get paid again.
- Soltan Once SPF 50 spray x 2: we've got through A LOT of sunscreen this summer! 🌞
INs
- Sure Nonstop Protection Anti-Perspirant Aerosol Watermelon Fresh 250ml: replacement
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Brunette Colour: replacement
- Vibrant Vinyls- Fast & Hard Top Coat- green tea scent: replacement
- Boots Advanced Nail Polish Remover: replacement, current is low
- Rainbow Connection Acetone Additive- in Cherry Slushie scent: when the remover is done, so will be the additive, so got a new one when I ordered my top coat.
- Revolution Sport Fix Fixing Spray: replacement, current one is low
- L'Oreal Paris Infallible More Than Concealer: Got significant windowing on current one, so bought replacement now
I did also purchase a nail polish when I got my new topcoat and additive- ILNP In the Woods- a sage green holo- so pretty, can't wait to try it out! That's no 7 out of the 12 max goal I set myself.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I hit a few eyeshadow pans too!
- Bella Beaute Bar -in single eyeshadow shade Radioactive: a vibrant lime green base and shifts red-orange-yellow-chartreuse- it's stunning!
- Dieverune Cosmetics --in single eyeshadow shade Luminous Luna: a white with green sparkles- but you can't really see any white, it's mostly the beautiful green sparkles- so good for an inner corner or topper shade
- Ace Beaute Tropical Vibes Palette in shade Khaki: which is actually a mustard yellow colour, so pretty paired with a yellow-gold shimmer!
Jan Grocery Challenge 2023: £181.18/£400
OSWLC 2023 Q1: 0/101 -
3 UUs to report for August
Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm Elemis wnba I do like a balm cleanser but this is a bit pricy
Firm Peeling Gel Peter Thomas Roth wnba got as part of a beauty box and just didn't like it
Total Moisture Daily Facial Cream Medik8 wnba a really nice moisturiser but too expensiveUse it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
And for balance, my 4 INs are
Vita-C Glycolic Serum (mini) Murad - beauty box (subscription cancelled)
Cleanse and Polish Liz Earle - Boots £10 Tuesday bargain. Not used this for a while and I miss it
Moringa Cleansing Balm (mini) Emma Hardie - beauty box (subscription cancelled)
Skin Food (mini) Weleda - bought a mini to take on my travelsUse it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
UUs
- Tesco Nailpolish Remover 250Ml
- L'Oreal Paris Infallible More Than Concealer - 325 Cool Rose: Just use this more than foundation now! Bought the replacement earlier this month, as I knew it was going!
- MAC Black Cherry Glow Play Lipbalm - Blossoms or Bust: OMG I just had to search my emails to figure out when I got this as it pre-dates my spreadsheet…. bought this in 2021….. I should NOT have still been using a lip product from 2021!!! It was a sheer bright pink tinted lip balm, in a special edition cherry blossom bullet, it was v pretty! I will be looking for a replacement for this item as I don't have anything cool-pinky. Everything I own is brown-orangey, and I do sometimes need something cool toned to go with cooler-toned eye looks.
Throw Away
Had a bit of a clear out- spoiler alert, its mostly ancient eyeliner!
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil - Mainline: In realising the date for my MAC lipbalm, made me wonder the dates of these eyeliners, which I never use btw as I love eyeshadow don't do eyeliner…. 2021 also!! This goes (theoretically, if I ever used eyeliner) right by my eye, so I am binning them. Shame. Very pretty petrol blue colour.
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil - Mildew: ditto! Olive green colour
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Pencil: This one I have actually half used, but cannot find it on my spreadsheet which means it is OLD. I'd repurchase this for Halloween as I did like this one, not scratchy, but I've never been a black liner girlie, so I'm gonna bin it.
- L'Oreal Mat-Matic black eyeliner: Someone gave me this…. No idea when. Definitely not using it- prefer that Scandaleyes, or the Maybelline Tattoo Liner Gel Pencil- so binning it
- M&S Autography eyeliner- black: ditto
- Barry M Super soft eye crayon- black: WHY DO I HAVE ALL THIS BLACK EYELINER!?! I never wear black eyeliner. So weird! This one is a chonky pencil, I have used it for Halloween on occasion- would purchase again for that, should I need it
- Maybelline Color Sensational Bold Lipstick - Gone Greige: Bought this in 2023, I was totally influenced by Hannah Louise Posten on youtube with this one- looks absolutely terrible on me! To give you an idea of how much it does NOT suit me, I've used this to give me a sallow skull-cheek effect a few times for Halloween. Also, I have always been a bit dubious about how old it was before it got to me as I bought it on a sight that was not Boots or Superdrug and I just don't feel confortable wearing it.
- L'Oreal Lumi Liquid Blush in shade 627 Glowy Warm Peach: GWP and I don't do cream/liquid blush/highlighter etc so I just won't use this. Don't think anyone at work would want it, so I'm chucking it as it is just taking up space.
- Elf Halo Glow Beauty Wand Blush in Magic Hour: ditto.
Jan Grocery Challenge 2023: £181.18/£400
OSWLC 2023 Q1: 0/101
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
