We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lebara 20% price hike

Stanley_P
Stanley_P Posts: 1 Newbie

I use a Lebara SIM for data only in a remote 4G security camera. Everything has been great and I’ve had no reason to complain.

However, as a small business owner, I need VAT invoices. Up until recently this hasn’t been a problem. I just log into my account and download them – happy days!

Recently though, the VAT breakdown has disappeared and when I contacted Lebara chat, I was told that even though they have charged VAT on my payment, they are no longer providing invoices with the VAT breakdown included.

So, because I have no VAT invoice, I cannot claim back the 20% VAT that Lebara has taken from me on behalf of HMRC.

I got the feeling from the Lebara chat agent that I’m wasting my time complaining – they cut me off.

Can anyone suggest an alternative SIM only provider that will supply a VAT invoice?

Comments

  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,371
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Go to hukd

    search scancom three 500GB data SIM

    They are usually around £40.

    work out less than £2 a month for around 20 months

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 July at 1:15PM

    Any network that signs you up on a 'business to business' contract will supply you with a VAT invoice.

    If you are looking at personal/consumer products then it is often the case that they don't supply a full VAT breakdown on each bill but they might be available on request.

    From memory, I think Giffgaff have the ability to download a VAT bill.

  • sunlight432
    sunlight432 Posts: 25
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If they're charging VAT, they should be able to provide a valid VAT invoice. If not, I'd switch. EE, O2, Vodafone, Three they all provide VAT invoices, but it's worth confirming before signing up.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,552
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The four companies you mention supply VAT-inclusive bills for consumer products but not full VAT breakdowns nor the VAT registration number. Since they only supply these products to individuals then by definition the account holder cannot be a business customer.

    They will, of course, supply a full VAT invoice when a business product has been contracted for.

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,297
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Businesses can provide simplified invoices in some circumstances. This is one. The OP can still reclaim the VAT element included in the invoice but may need to work out the breakdown himself.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 2,185
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Perhaps you could clarify whether the sim is being used by your business, and whether you have a business contract with lebara. If you are a business customer I would expect them to provide VAT details, if not I would expect them to seek to move you onto a business contract.

  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 2,679
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If you are using it in a remote camera you should really be using a M2M or IoT SIM.

    Alternatively, if you can buy a business oriented Data SIM that lasts for X months and that will come with a VAT invoice.

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 1 August at 8:05PM

    Must be a very recent change, as in after 28th July, as my latest one is showing VAT amount and VAT reg number.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 7,050
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.