We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buying a used car with no V5??

ParrotJam
ParrotJam Posts: 6 Newbie
First Post

Newbie here so please be gentle!

I have found a car we like the look of from a small dealership. Price good, test drive all good. The MOT from May showed an advisory on the tyre tread, so the dealership agreed to change the tyre and service the car before sale as well as fixing an alloy that was grazed. Car passed the finance company's checks and I've done a HPI check etc which has come back (to my untrained eye) all clear. Nothing flagged up in red, anyway. We put a non-refundable deposit on car to secure it, and have got finance on it which has gone through to the dealership, we just have a cash part to pay. Was going to go to the dealership to pay the rest of the money and collect the car today, but happened to find out from a chance comment before I left home that they don't have the green slip or V5 for the car! They said it's not a problem as they have the Document Reference Number, so they can sort the tax online. Phoned the DVLA to check this, and they said absolutely not, that the only way that it can be sorted without the V5 green slip is by the dealer going online to get a V62 and then going to the post office in person. Dealer says this isn't true and he can sort it online for me. Have left it for today and considering whether to pull the finance and walk away. The only thing is, it's the only car of its kind, right size, good spec and in our price range so we'd have to go right back to the drawing board and we really need a car. Should I walk?

«1

Comments

  • ParrotJam
    ParrotJam Posts: 6 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 30 July at 6:48PM

    Thanks ice weasel. You are right, it's not a dealership, it's a car sales place. The non refundable deposit was £200 as we needed time to sort finance.

    I have just phoned the DVLA again and they have checked the registration and the vehicle is not currently registered to anyone else, so she said not to worry on that front, so I could get the V62 and tax it over the counter myself if I pay the £25 fee.

  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 July at 6:59PM

    It is very easy for the dealer to sort this all out online and they don't need to visit the post office at all.

    They can either pay £25 to the DVLA online to get a new V5 (takes about a week). Alternatively, they can transfer the car to you online without the V5 - they just need to have kept a note of the 12 digit reference number which would be on the V5 under the green new buyer keeper supplement (and the 11 digit V5 reference number which they have confirmed they have).

    When they have completed this for you, you can then tax the vehicle online using the same 12 digit number from the green slip.

    I certainly wouldn't walk away over this - but I'd want to be with the dealer when they complete the changes on the DVLA website and then tax it immediately.

    I sold my car last week and had mislaid the V5 (though I kept all the reference numbers on it), I just paid the £25 and it arrived 3 working days later and I successfully sold the car. I then bought my fathers car off him (he had also misplaced the V5) - I had all the reference numbers and transferred the car to me and received a brand new V5 a few days later. He received a cheque with the tax refund and I taxed it using the 12 digit reference number I mentioned before. It's incredibly easy compared to when you had to go to the post office in the old days.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    If they have the document reference number for the MOST RECENT V5 then a change of registered keeper can be done. You'll need the 12 digit number from the new keeper slip (same as 11 digit number on the front of the V5 but with an extra digit at the front) to tax it with no delay.

    If it turns out the reference number is invalid, you'll need to apply for a V5 using the V62 form. If the dealer didn't supply one, the £25 fee is waived.

    I would be asking for evidence the dealer is the true owner of the car - for example a redacted invoice showing he/she purchased it eg from a trade auction or another dealer.

    If you want it all done for you, the dealer can indeed do it, but the car may end up with an additional registered keeper (because the dealer might choose to put it into his name to obtain the V5, then a further change once that document arrives). There is a way round, which is for the dealer to use your name but his own address, then do a change of address.

    Tax is not a problem, there are ways to tax a car without the V5 etc.

  • ParrotJam
    ParrotJam Posts: 6 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 30 July at 8:30PM

    Thanks Peter and Paul, that is reassuring to hear that this is car is not a 'Hell no', although I am a bit befuddled by it all and feeling out of my depth. Good idea about asking for the proof of ownership.

    How can i know if they have the most recent V5 document reference number, and what happens if it isn't the most recent? Am I the new owner of a car that the DVLA doesn't have any proof I own?

    So, just to check Paul, I don't need to pay £25 for a V5 if the car salesman didn't supply one? I'm wary about the dealer using his own address, so think I'd want to avoid that scenario if possible. It's already a bit complicated as although I'm picking up the car and finishing off the deal, it's my partner who has secured the finance, so it would be his name on the V5, and not mine, but he won't be there buying/picking up the car as he is at work.

    It might sound like a silly question, but what exactly am I watching out for whilst they make the changes on the DVLA website? Is this the tax part or the car ownership bit specifically?

    And can i / should I do all of the above before releasing the final funds from my account? What is I've paid and they're being shifty about changing the details on the DVLA website, if they even do that bit? Do I have any protection in this scenario??!

    As you can probably tell, this is all new territory for me.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I've heard anecdotally that people have not paid the £25, or had it refunded, in the case where they bought a car but a V5 wasn't supplied. The official notes on the V62 say you need the green "new keeper" slip though.

    In any case, it ought to be the dealer refunding (or adjusting the price of the car) for the hassle.

  • ParrotJam
    ParrotJam Posts: 6 Newbie
    First Post

    Thanks for that Paul. I'm certainly going to be asking them to adjust the price down by at least £25 🙁

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The DVLA NEVER have proof that you own a car.. They record the keeper, not the owner, and it says in big letters on the V5C that it is not proof of ownership.

  • PTP123
    PTP123 Posts: 129 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    If they have the number and they're willing to put it into your name on collection or go to the post office and pay the £25 fee that's pretty normal. I wouldn't listen to ice weasel and their doom and gloom scenario

  • ParrotJam
    ParrotJam Posts: 6 Newbie
    First Post

    Good point, Car_54. Thanks for the reassurance PTP123. I've just messaged them to send me the Document Reference Number so I can check it's legit before making the journey over to their forecourt

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.