We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Pension Providers Supporting The "Small Pots" (£10k) rule
Comments
-
I did this with just the small pots - I left the rest of my SIPP in II
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
I did it with HL. Transfer DC funds in, then separately they will carve out as many small pots of 10k you are allowed. Doing this only gets you an extra 7.5k of TFLS over the LSA but that's effectively 1.5k of income tax eventually saved (if you're going to be over the LSA).
🐻 A little FIRE lights the cigar1 -
Are you 100% sure about that as they definitely didn't use to have such a rule in place.
A few years ago I transferred in just less than £30k to a completely new and empty HL sipp and proceeded to request 3 small pots over a few months without issue, and I know other posters have talked about doing similar things with £10k pension pots, so if true then this is a big change that I would have thought I'd have seen posted before.
1 -
You are right that I also have never seen the £100K rule ever mentioned on this forum.
However it would not totally surprise me as this service they offer must be costing them money. Especially for clients like you , who probably paid them near zero fees and caused them presumably quite a lot of admin work, informing HMRC etc . It is very good of them to subsidise this activtity, but maybe the new owners are not as keen to do this?
1 -
I did my activities in the last year between October and this March so it would have to be a very recent rule change
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
I can't remember where I saw £100k mentioned. I also can't find anywhere on the HL website where it says they will carve out three pots - anyone got a link?
0 -
You may have seen it suggested on previous threads on this forum, if you've done any browsing. Have a look at
and there's a link to the relevant form you need to complete. Give HL a call and check if there's currently a minimum pot size needed for them to do this (bar the obvious '£30,000') - and if you'd kindly post the answer on this thread, that would clear up any confusion.
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!0 -
Just for information, an extra 7.5K of TFLS is maybe a saving of 1.5K tax for 20% payers, 40% payers will save 3K and makes the hassle more worthwhile and obviously 45% tax payers gain a bit more, every little helps I guess.
0 -
I just did the three small pots this financial year on a work pension I transferred in, worth about £40k.
Rattled through three small pot withdrawals within a month, with no mention of needing £100k.
About to do drawdown on the remainder.
Relatively simple, some paper forms, some online stuff, but always worth phoning their pension helpline people as they know their onions and will talk you through the nuts and bolts of procedures, timelines and online and paper forms.
2 -
Should've said - all using HL
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

