We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Pension Providers Supporting The "Small Pots" (£10k) rule
Does anyone know which providers will allow a payment under the small pots rule for a SIPP?
I can see both AJ Bell and HL do - but is there anyone else who does?
Comments
-
Most of the major DC providers. Be aware that it's not just a case of checking providers - you'll need to check the terms of your particular contract.
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!1 -
is there anything stopping you from partially transferring £9k to a supporting provider from a much larger SIPP/workplace pension and taking it as a ‘small pot’?
1 -
Nope - and that is part of the plan. Looking to hold three small pots in private pensions.
The workplace pension can be taken as a small pot too and doesn't count towards the three providing the last transfer out was three or more years ago.
(I'm working and plan to retire in just over four years)0 -
Fidelity offer small pot withdrawals, although I think there is something in their small print about transferring money in and withdrawing it again quickly. Not necessarily relating to small pots, just a general rule .
Vanguard do not offer small pot facility ( when I last checked), and I would guess the new kids on the block, like Freetrade, Investengine etc probably do not.
0 -
Vanguard has nothing listed - so appears not to.
Pension Bee does not.
0 -
There are regular posts on here saying that HL will accept a transfer in and then 'carve out' 3 separate pots of £10K each, which you can then take under the small pots regime. I've not done it myself, so the usual 'check with HL' caveat.
For anyone unfamiliar with the 'small pot' rules, there's a good clear explanation here: https://www.litrg.org.uk/pensions/pension-withdrawals/small-pensions
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!3 -
that is what I did - twice, with the 3rd achieved by depositing the salary I had earned before my retirement (Sal sac while working so there was just enough to achieve another nearly £10k once the tax relief landed). I left it in cash with HL, got a small bonus for transferring and paid no fees.
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.2 -
(I'm working and plan to retire in just over four years)
Just a thought - if you're planning to retire in just over 4 years, do you need to use the small pots regime at all? Its advantages are that it doesn't trigger the Money Purchase Annual Allowance; and taking 25% tax free cash from a small pot counts as 0% of the Lump Sum Allowance. If you won't need to worry about the MPAA, or exceeding the LSA, it would seem to add a needless complication when you could just take out cash of any amount at time(s) of your choosing, if the provider offers flexible drawdown.
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!1 -
HL only do this if you have a pension of more than £100k with them, which I am not keen to do.
2 -
I will exceed the LSA.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
