We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Order from Porsche for accessories

uralmaid
uralmaid Posts: 429
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

On Monday we placed an order for a set of car mats frome Porsche. I completed their online order form but it would only bring up my address as Main Road. Twice I tried to put in the house name and it did show. After payment when the receipt came up there was no house number.

I emailed Porsche customer service immediately and explained this. First got an automatic response which said they would be in touch. Yesterday I got another email saying unfortunately the address could not be added and saying to wait until DPD make contact for delivery and try to add the house name. If this didn't work they will return the items to them as unable to deliver, then we have to re-order and then wait for a refund. I have emailed them back saying not acceptable as the error was with their form and have yet to get a reply.

Has anyone had this situation and how did you resole it please?

«1

Comments

  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,656
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    "I completed their online order form but it would only bring up my address as Main Road. Twice I tried to put in the house name and it did show."

    Unfortunately you completed an order knowing the address was wrong ?

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    There have been a couple of threads recently where people have accidentally entered the wrong address for a delivery (e.g. right house name and street, wrong postcode) and from memory there wasn't a conclusion as to who was liable. I can't see that Porsche are liable in your situation. If their form didn't permit you to enter your address, you should have stopped there. As I see it, you completed an order knowing that you hadn't given them your full address - it wasn't an accident. Their form may be 'faulty' but you knew that before you completed the order.

    I think you'll have to wait for the undelivered items to be returned to the retailer to get your refund. If you can't enter your address on their website, you'll either have to order from them by phone or post, or buy from elsewhere.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,511
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What's wrong with the generic car mats from Home Bargains?

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,255
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    There have been older cases too… often when websites are using the likes of google maps style entry where you are told to start typing your address and it brings up a list of options you select from… remember a long running thread where someone said they lived at something like 10 High Street and had selected the first 10 High Street that came up but it was miles away in another town.

    Personally with all of these I enter my postcode as whilst I think my street is probably uniquely named in the UK I know some previous addresses certainly werent and its much less dangerous.

    I cant see how it can be anything but the users problem if they have ordered the item to the wrong address, that said I have seen cases where the address shown in the online system and what gets put on the parcel are different and thats a very different matter to me

  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,682
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It's not always an option to put in your postcode - I ordered something a couple of days ago where you entered the first line of your address and there was no option for postcode. I did, however, make very sure I picked the right 10 High St.

  • uralmaid
    uralmaid Posts: 429
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I did what it asked - I typed the first part of my address. It brought up the correct road and postcode but didn't have a space for the house name. I manually typed in the house name, in front of the street. There was a box which said apartment block or number, so I also typed the house name in there. On my computer this showed as my full address, but then after clicking on pay, the screen said order accepted but the house name had disappeared. I didn't type in the wrong address.

  • uralmaid
    uralmaid Posts: 429
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    @caprikid1 I find it hard to comprehend how a company such as Porsche can have an incomplete order form to complete. As I have said, I manually put the house name onto the order but then it disappeared on the receipt.

  • uralmaid
    uralmaid Posts: 429
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    @flaneurs_lobster After treating ourselves we wanted the real thing.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,255
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    i agree that they normally ask for the first line of the address but never found one that didnt work if you ignored that and put a postcode in anyway.

    The problem can be with a long address the address on screen gets truncated and of cause there is a Gillingham in Kent and Dorset. So if you live at 6 Buckingham Road, Gillingham you may not see if it says Kent or Dorset (despite the address existing in both places) and you may not know the address exists in both counties. Of cause you SHOULD check the full address once its been selected but clearly some dont but thats why I put it on the customer… postcodes dont have the same doppelganger problem

  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 235
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 July at 3:41PM

    Has anyone had this situation and how did you resole it please?

    Have you tried Timpsons?

    On a more serious note:-

    Most of these companies have access to the Postcode Address File in one form or another, so it is likely that one of three things is the problem: your address is not recorded in there correctly, you don't know your correct address, or their form is just plain rubbish and can't handle your address because they're trying to squeeze it into a database which lacks the correct fields.

    Online forms are largely at the whim of whoever their web developer is (or whose service they have used), and I frequently find these forms are shoddy. My address has no district (just a town) and many times I've seen these forms "correct" my address by forcing the postal town into this field or duplicating some other field - none of which is correct.

    The PAF file is formed from data provided by your local authority - if your council tax bill has the correct address then the issue is the website. If your council tax bill has the wrong address you should ask the local authority to check it - in many cases people find the council tax record is correct and for years they've been using the wrong address.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.