We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NHS dentist charges query

  1. If I go for 6 month check up and they find a tooth that needs filling do I pay once band1 for check up and then again band 2 for the filling or do I only pay once for both visits for band 2 filling
  2. If I have a check up and all is fine but after a week later I lose a bit of filling and go back to see how bad it is do I pay for another check up.

I know this sounds silly because I have read the 2 month rule but the 2nd of these scenarios happened to me and when I went to get the filling checked today the receptionist wanted to charge me again for another check up. The filling was fine but if it had had fallen out and need replacing would need to pay the full band 2 costs a week after I paid my check up last week for band 1

I am new to NHS dentists for a while I had tried to get one and was stuck with a private one so I am not as familiar as I should be with how it works. Thank you.

Comments

  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 19,114 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper

    I have an NHS dentist and my understanding is, if, at your check-up, the dentist decides you need a filling, that would normally become a Band 2 course of treatment. You wouldn't pay a separate Band 1 and then a full Band 2. Any Band 1 charge you've already paid is taken into account, so you'd just pay the Band 2 charge for that whole course of treatment.

    For your second example, it's a bit less clear. If I went back because of the same problem shortly afterwards, I'd expect it to be dealt with as part of the existing course of treatment or under the continuation rules, depending on the circumstances.

    Or if it's a completely new problem, that would be a new course of treatment and another charge.

    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Badboi
    Badboi Posts: 100 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    my nhs dentist said any work done is guaranteed for 12 months (had this with some dental sealant work that needed replacing about 7 months in and was free)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.