We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Thames Water Bill seems really high
We have been (no choice in this) put on a meter which will come into affect next year. Meanwhile we are being charged the fixed rate, it seems really high - I wondered how I can check this outside of Thames Water.. I have a 2 bed house and the bill is £80 per month. Thanks.
Comments
-
I have a 4 bedroom house and pay £192 per month, so £80 doesn't seem outrageous.
0 -
OK thanks, it just seemed very high and I can see that they use a ratable value system which is hard to work out as I need to call the council to check and they are hard to get through to. Our house is small. The bill doesn't seem so high compared to yours!
0 -
Have you looked at Thames's calculator to see what the saving will be when on the meter ?
Never pay on an estimated bill. Always read and understand your bill0 -
I'm on a meter & pay £49 pcm for water & sewerage. 5 bed house but only 2 of us in it. Best value for money out of all the utilities.
0 -
We have been (no choice in this) put on a meter which will come into affect next year.
Why did you not choose a meter before now? Unmetered charges based on rateable value (RV) have typically been more expensive than metered charges for the last 20+ years.
Meanwhile we are being charged the fixed rate, it seems really high
Unless you've built an extension or done something else to make your house larger, your home's RV won't have changed since the 1970s.
What was the RV on last year's bill? And on the bill before that? Has it changed?
I wondered how I can check this outside of Thames Water.
Checkk what, specifically? Again, your RV was set in the 1970s. It shouldn't have changed unless your house has changed.
Thames Water publish how to calculate their charges based on RV, so you can check their calculations if you feel the need.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


