We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

At breaking point

13

Comments

  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Another question from me, when the accounts have defaulted and eventually potentially sold on, do only the default notices appear on my credit report or does the outstanding balance also remain?

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    The entry on your credit file remains exactly the same, all that changes is the accounts status, which will change from "open" to "default".

    If the debt is sold, its common for the original entry to remain alongside the new owners entry, which is fine, so long as the default dates tally, and the original entry should show a balance of zero, whilst the new entry will show the outstanding balance.

    Usually the original entry will be deleted after a while leaving just the new owner to report on the account.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It's the opposite really, you are taking decisive action to sort things out, and once defaulted you will have a clear date when your credit report will be clear.

    I started a DMP in 2021. I was very apprehensive about the process and had a lot of concerns, but it all went very smoothly. After trying every trick I could think of to make the minimum payments I couldn't believe how simple a DMP actually was and my only regret was that I hadn't done it earlier. I'm sure you will find the same and before too long you could well be helping others on here.

  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Pay day has been and gone, money has been moved into an emergency savings fund but I am now starting to get the notifications/texts that payments have been missed. It has made me panic a little but I know I need to go through this process. I’m always one to follow the rules so this is completely alien to me!

    Is it best to block notifications from the apps and ignore texts as best I can?

  • Smudgeismydog
    Smudgeismydog Posts: 732 Ambassador
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!

    absolutely, yes, for your sanity

    Can you block any calls from unknown numbers?

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pension, Debt Free Wanabee, and Over 50 Money Saving boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You can write and ask that all communications are sent by snail mail. Or create a burner email and change your contact on line. It's for you to decide whether to read them.

    All important letters have to be sent by snail mail, including defaults, letters before action and any court proceedings.

    So it remains important to set aside time to open and read them every week or so. Then file by creditor, most recent on top.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    These "missed payment" alerts are all computer generated, and are triggered automatically when a payment is missed, its going to be par for the course going forward, so you have to get used to ignoring such things.

    There are certain things you can do to make things easier, apart from changing your phone number and email to a random one that isn`t connected to you, you can also delete apps, as you no longer need them.

    Once your debts default, they will be passed on to collectors or sold to 3rd parties, so the companies that currently own your debts, might not be the ones you enter debt management with in 6 months time, they will have changed most likely, so you won`t need the old companies apps any more.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I feel oddly freed, for the past few weeks I haven’t had to worry if I have enough money in my account to go food shopping, or checking which credit card I can use for basic essentials that isn’t maxed. Is this how it’s supposed to be?!


    I’m going to contact my creditors and ask them to remove my phone number. I have been absolutely hounded with calls and voicemails. Multiple calls in one day from the same company. Thankfully I have unknown numbers silenced and go to voicemail, but the voicemail notifications are still bothering me

  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    By law all essential legal documents have to go to the last known address. So you need to read and file that.

    You should be able to change some contact details on line. Maybe add a throw away email address you use for them all? Read if you feel like it.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes that’s my plan, I’m keeping all the letters which come through but ignoring all other forms of communication.

    Great idea, although it’s more the phone calls I’m receiving as opposed to emails.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.