We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

At breaking point

24

Comments

  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I’m now doubting myself that this is the right way to go.

    Defaulting and bombing my credit score for the next 6 years feels so reckless, but it doesn’t feel like I have any other options with my current situation

  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,384 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 July at 4:20PM

    I do not think you have any option other than to default and go on to a DMP. The monthly deficit is too high. Realistically I am afraid that buying a property in the next 6 years would not happen as not only do you have to clear the debt but you also need to save up a deposit and for fees. It will go quickly. You cannot pick and choose really which debts to keep going and if you have a Nationwide credit card and current account it is best to stop with both. I would move the bills over to a new account with a bank you do not owe money to.

    Your credit record will be bombed for 6 years so I would set up a DMP for £1k a month and start to save as you will not have access to credit and you need to get out of this debt spiral. If anything happens to your car you will need a savings buffer. Just paying £1k to the debt will get it repaid in just over 3 years.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,725 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    If not, what else are you going to do? Leaving it longer only digs the hole deeper and makes the solution more painful. You sooner you start your debt-free journey you sooner you will be free of it.

  • WinterWeather
    WinterWeather Posts: 13 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    if you set up a DMP plan and pay a £1,000 a month, split between creditors, you’ll be debt free in just over 3 years. Continue to save that 1k you cleared your debt with and you could be debt free and with a 40k deposit at the end of the 6 years. I’d do that for sure, you can turn your life around x

  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thank you all, for your invaluable advice.

    I agree, I don't have any other choice. I cancelled all my direct debits this morning, have submitted affordability complaints and I'm going to open a new/clean account with Starling. It feels quite freeing, knowing this month I can start to build an emergency fund and not have to worry about making ends meet for the month.

    A question re keeping Monzo/Nationwide and not defaulting on them - will other creditors pick up from my credit report if I am clearing those debts and not defaulting?

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 29 July at 12:01PM

    They could look at your credit report and see you were doing that if they wanted to, but I'm not sure how much they would care. You'd be better off going the whole hog and dealing with everything in one go. Interest gets frozen when you default and it's often possible to settle debts for reduced amounts after they have defaulted and been sold, so you'd be increasing the overall cost of sorting yourself out.

    You can keep your Nationwide and Monzo accounts if you want to, just don't keep any money in them. You couldn't use the switching service to transfer the direct debits as that would close the account but you could transfer them manually if you wanted to. Most companies let you do it in their app or on their website, and it doesn't take long to contact the few that don't.

  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm already receiving phone calls/voicemails and texts from MBNA regarding my affordability complaint. I haven't answered as all unknown calls are already silenced - should I answer these types of calls?

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I would deal with everything in writing. It means you can take you time, come here for advice if necessary, and have a record of everything in case you need to escalate it to the FOS.

  • SleepyPanda85
    SleepyPanda85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    This is what I was thinking, I shall continue to ignore the calls

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.