We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
13 Months old & IPhone 16 knackered
good afternoon,
just after some advice please.
I bought an iPhone 16 brand new from a local curry’s store (late June 2025)
Total cost was£699, this also included a trade in offer with an old iPhone.
I still have the receipt & it was paid for by credit card.
*Apple have it as registered since 1.July.2025.
during the course of last week I have been back to my local Apple Store twice.
As the iPhone was falling to charge.
It looks like Apple did a temporary fix initially, however less than 24 hours later and the iPhone is now useless.
Apple are now referring me to back to Curry’s (stating it needs a major repair)
*a tad surprised at Apple here as in the past when I have had older Apple phones that have gone faulty, Apple have simply replaced them with a new refurbished iPhone.
now I’m sure everyone would agree 13 months is not a reasonable amount of time for a £699 latest model iPhone.
at the minute I am awaiting a response from my Initial email to curry’s (out of warranty team)
under consumer law, am I within my rights to request a new iPhone
Given the fact Apple themselves have repaired it once and that failed.
also would a chargeback on my credit card work in this case.
Comments
-
You have no contract with Apple, so why would they just replace the phone?
You need to work this via Currys.
2 -
I understand that.
but in the past Apple have replaced faulty iPhones* that have been out of warranty.*battery issues.
0 -
Who had you bought them from?
1 -
To answer your questions:
Yes, you have the right to request a new phone, but Currys aren't obliged to provide one. They may, if they are satisfied that the problem is an inherent one and not caused by misuse/overuse/abuse, provide a used model of roughly the same value, or repair it, or provide a partial refund.
Apple's attempt to repair it doesn't count, in the sense that that was an entirely separate transaction between you and Apple.
No, a chargeback won't work. Your credit card is equally liable with Currys under Section 75, but they will almost certainly ask for the same evidence as currys, ie. That the fault is inherent or was inevitable, rather than caused by you.
2 -
Honestly can't remember.
One I'd say was Ebay, possibly both were.
one thing for sure was they were NOT bought directly from apple.
0 -
It doesn't help your current situation but John Lewis offers a 2 year guarantee on many phones etc that would have helped here. Only posting in case you need to consider for your next purchase.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time0 -
Thanks for your response, very helpful
*One thing I meant to add, was the fact
My Local Curry's store advised me that I was "one step ahead already"
as what Curry's will ask for is a an apple Genius Bar Work Authorisation (which I have).
which I assume means Apple have checked the phone and confirm its current status.
when you say a chargeback won't work ?
does not the Consumer credit act not kick in here.
a new iphone 16 should last longer than 13 months
0 -
If the OP is successful in getting a refund will they get the £699 back and not the trade in price for the old phone added to the refund if they get money and not a new phone?
If the OP gets money can they buy a new iPhone 16 for £699 as I don't know what iPhones cost these days?
0 -
Current starting price for an iPhone 16 from Apple is £699, same at Currys.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
Far a chargeback to work it has to be faulty from new.
Life in the slow lane1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

