We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Missing certificate - but might be a bigger mess now?
Comments
-
I am not certain of the exact date but about 5 years ago changes to the Part P regs, rendered all fuse boxes in use at the time obsolete
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales0 -
I think it would be potentially much worse to present a misleading certificate than not to present one at all
What does your solicitor advise rather than paying attention to unqualified random posters ?0 -
If you are talking about amendment 3 change to metal consumer units that was 10 years ago. And obsolete is a bit strong… older units became "not to current standards" but they can still pass EICR test with an advisory to that effect.
0 -
Kai_63 said
I just worry that a surveyor might notice or if there's an issue with the electrics a few months after I sell it that it will be pretty clear it wasn't installed today.
Also I'm not sure where I stand legally. If I fill in a TA6 form and say there's a vaild certificate, what would that mean?
As long as you fill in the TA6 truthfully, and don't try to mislead anybody, I can't see why you would have a problem.
So on the TA6, you truthfully state when the work took place, and attach a copy of the current dated certificate.
You could write a note in the box saying something like "Electrician failed to certify at installation time, so later issued a certificate dated xx/xx/xx", if you want.
(Or you could not bother with a note, and see if the solicitor or buyer challenges the date.)
The buyer or their solicitor might ask follow-up questions, which you answer truthfully.
Then it's up to the buyer's solicitor to decide whether the mortgage lender needs indemnity insurance, and it's up to the buyer to decide if they want an electrical survey etc (or whether they want to walk away, but that seems unlikely).
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

