We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Missing certificate - but might be a bigger mess now?

moved into my home 5 years ago and had a partial rewire and fuse box replacement done. I requested the certification at the time.

5 years later I'm about to move. Can't find the certificate. Call the electrician and it turns out it wasn't issued after all. Call him up and he says I'm right, he never issued one and he'll send one.

The NICEIC certificate is dated with 'Date complete' as today's date which doesn't seem right.

Should I just tell him I don't want it and and get indemnity insurance instead?

«1

Comments

  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 22 July at 9:30PM

    I would not stress over it. Just include it with the other sale documents when you go through conveyancing. Very much doubt anyone will inspect that level of detail and if they do just tell them what has happened.

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,960 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I've never bought or sold a property where anybody paid great attention to the electrics, I wouldn't worry.

  • Kai_63
    Kai_63 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thank you. I just worry that a surveyor might notice or if there's an issue with the electrics a few months after I sell it that it will be pretty clear it wasn't installed today.

    Also I'm not sure where I stand legally. If I fill in a TA6 form and say there's a vaild certificate, what would that mean?

    I read I could also just get an EICR done now to verify the work is sound, which would probably be safer.

  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    That seems to be an amazing statement. I am unsure what that says about peoples focus when buying houses perhaps it is why we get the system we do, no accountability as nobody cares.

    Safety of my family not important but its got a new kitchen!

    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
  • Kai_63
    Kai_63 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I get the feeling there'a a bit of a spectrum. I would definitely want as much confidence and paperwork as possible but others are very relaxed about it.

    The annoying thing for me is that I did everything above board but just don't have the paperwork to prove it. Looking at getting an ECIR and indemnity insurance instead now as it at least gives a buyer some peace of mind.

  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,036 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You've been given a cert and can explain why the date is wrong .. what's the issue?

  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    But why are you paying for the EICR? And even worse what cover does the insurance provide?

    House in England are sold as is. Not a rental therefore not required to have an EICR.

    You don't pay for other surveys the purchaser may decide to commission.

    My point was even though the seller is not required to, as a purchaser I would consider the risk, relatively new or older house, possibility for changes extension leading to additional circuits, state of outlets when viewing and then decide if I want to procure a EICR.

    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 494 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 23 July at 12:11PM

    Electrics was the first thing I had done when renovating this house. Full rewire before anything else could start. The poster is probably right that few people pay attention to the electrics, but they very much should.

    OP - I'm fairly certain the certificate is not valid. So if the electrician cannot have one sent with the actual date of the work, you would need to get a separate inspection done and have the work signed off. As this will cost you, I suggest the original electrician needs to pay up.

    The lack of certificate will be flagged and the buyer's solicitor will strongly recommended it be sorted. The advantage of getting an independant sign off over indemnity is that the indemnity says nothing about safety. If I were buying such a house, I would want a safety-related sign-off, not insurance that if the house burned down I'd get a pay out.

  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 5,370 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Indemnity insurance normally covers the cost if Building Control issue an enforcement notice, rather than cover you for defective workmanship.

    I don't see how the sparks could have back dated the certificate, when he has around 25 days from completion to send it in. I guess the only possible way round it would be to say he has only just finally completed the work, even though it was started years ago. I'm not a sparks by trade, but I don't think a rewire has to be completed in a set time, although 5 years might be pushing it a bit.

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 23 July at 2:30PM

    Paperwork gets lost and a certificate isn't needed to sell a property.

    It is down to the buyer to do their own due diligence, so if they want a certificate you will allow their electrician to undertake an inspection at their expense.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.