We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Driving License - Medical Condition

wwfwilla
wwfwilla Posts: 50 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 20 July at 4:05PM in Motoring

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea about 2 1/2 years ago. I use a C-PAP machine and am fully compliant and meet the baseline of 70% usage for 4 hours or more each night over a month.

When I was given my machine I specifically asked if it needed reporting to DVLA. I was told no as it was being managed and I didn't have excessive sleepiness.

Fast forward to June 2025 and I went into A&E as I had a skin infection on my leg. During diagnosis I was asked about other ongoing conditions and I mentioned sleep apnoea. The doctor took more of an interest in it than I would expect and asked if i'd informed DVLA. I said no as thats what i'd been advised and that I was under the management of the sleep clinic in the same hospital.

About 6 weeks later I receive one of those "a 3rd party has informed us of a potential medical condition…"
I'm assuming it was the doctor. I kinda felt betrayed by it as i'd done everything that I was told and I knew this letter had opened a can of worms.

I filled out the form and sent copies of my appointment outcome letters. Every 3-6 months I had a check-up with a staff member of the sleep clinic. They'd send a letter detailing my stats from the machine plus other stuff. The important bit on the letter stated "Advised to Inform DVLA - No".
I sent the copies of the 3 letters covering the previous 12 months.

After 3 months I got a letter saying they'd wrote to the consultant who runs the sleep clinic and would advise when they got an update. I got a further 2 updates from DVLA (one after 3 months and another 6 months after that) stating they hadn't heard from the consultant and had requested the information again.

Last week I got a letter from DVLA saying that as my health condition could affect safe driving they must review my driving license at regular intervals. To do this they must replace my driving license every 3 years with a medical review driving license.

There was nothing to state what the outcome of the investigation was, it doesn't refer to any previous correspondence at all. Its more of a notice out of the blue telling me what to do.

It feels like they got fed up of waiting for the consultants reply and just imposed this on me.

I know the waiting list for the sleep clinic is 6 months so the consultant writing letters to DVLA will not be at the top of his agenda.
What I don't get is that I sent 3 letters issued from the clinic stating my figures were within parameters and that I wasn't advised to inform DVLA. They seem to have ignored these and only want the top doctor to comment. But he can't tell them anything different as all the stats and figures are on the letters i've already sent.

I notice that the only appeal process is to the courts, which for the average person like me seems excessive.
I've tried calling them to discuss the letter and what the outcome of the investigation was but i'm unwilling to wait the 1 hour+ time that the system advises of.

I feel like complaining to my local MP of DVLA's conduct where they've ignored NHS issued letters and because they haven't received a consultants response feels like they've had a paddy and imposed a medical driving license on me.

I will try to get in contact with DVLA but wondered if anyone else had gone through this or had some advice?

Thank you.

«1

Comments

  • teaselMay
    teaselMay Posts: 800 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    That's correct what they've done though isn't it. You do have a condition that is notifiable to them and that may change and so they've allowed you to continue driving but your licence has a medical review periodically

  • wwfwilla
    wwfwilla Posts: 50 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    As per the DVLA website its only notifiable if there's excessive sleepiness and/or it isn't being managed. Neither of those apply to me.

  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I am Diabetic and have been since 2009. In 2022 whilst still type 2 I began using Insulin. Until then I did not have to inform DVLA but once I went onto insulin I did.

    I now have what is termed a Medical Licence - which expires in 2029. When it was renewed in 2025 I simply completed the renewal form they sent me.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,139 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Did you have any excessive sleepiness prior to your diagnosis and use of the c-pap machine?

  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    First, obvious, thing to do is to speak to the Sleep Clinic Consultant's Secretary at the Hospital… It'll be the Sec who receives the DVLA requests and responds on their behalf.

    If they have responded ask for a copy for your records?

    If they have not received a DVLA request then your MP may be the correct next port of call.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Honestly, this isn't about you. It's about the people sharing the road with somebody who is known to have a medical condition that affects their sleep, and carries a high risk of them falling asleep when they should be alert.

    Take the personal out of it, and I think you'd agree that it'd be nice to know that the person driving towards you or your loved ones is not about to have a quick snooze while driving, right…?

    You aren't overly sleepy NOW. So you have a licence.

    All DVLA are saying is "We want to review this in three years time".
    Still not overly sleepy? No issue, you still have a licence.
    Condition no longer affects you? You may lose the renewal period.

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I presume it's because you were reported rather than you declaring it. My wife has sleep apnea with CPAP for the past 15 years or so. She was told by the sleep clinic to inform DVLA at the time, received a letter back from them saying she was fine to drive and has heard nothing since.

  • wwfwilla
    wwfwilla Posts: 50 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Being honest, I want them to apply the legislation as stated. DVLA have stated what the legislation is. NHS says I don't come under it and I wanted the outcome to reflect this. Its not about personal preference. If their guidelines stated all forms of sleep apnoea were reportable regardless then i'd do what it says.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,306 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    The instructions on gib.uk state you

    Firstly

    Must tell them if you have moderate or severe sleep apnea.l with excessive sleepiness.


    secondly


    you must not drive until you are free is excessive sleepiness or symptoms are under control and you are strictly following necessary treatment.

    Notifying DVLA is correct but you are able to drive per the second instruction. Two separate requirements.

    Your letter says they haven’t advised you to notify DVLA. That doesn’t mean they are advising you you do not need to advise DVLA.

    Yiu cannot rely on a third party to tell you what you should do.

    https://www.gov.uk/excessive-sleepiness-and-driving

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    They are.

    https://www.gov.uk/excessive-sleepiness-and-driving

    "You must tell DVLA if you have:

    • confirmed moderate or severe obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome (OSAS), with excessive sleepiness
    • either narcolepsy or cataplexy, or both
    • any other sleep condition that has caused excessive sleepiness for at least 3 months - including suspected or confirmed mild OSAS

    …
    Ask your doctor if you’re not sure if your excessive sleepiness will affect your driving."

    You have been diagnosed for 2.5yrs with sleep apnoea.
    Even if it was mild, and only "suspected", that requires informing DVLA because 30mo is longer than 3mo, but you said it's "severe". That doesn't carry the 3mo requirement.

    How do you think that falls outside that requirement to inform?

    Anyway, whatever your belief - a doctor believes it falls within, and has done their duty by informing DVLA. Whether a different doctor felt it didn't is irrelevant.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.