We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Using own stamps

This discussion was created from comments split from: Seller making no money.
This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
«1

Comments

  • BlueonBlue
    BlueonBlue Posts: 443
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 July at 11:30PM

    Ive not used ebay for a number of years last time was during or just after covid…..is it still possible to use your own stamps when self posting over the post office counter….. or is that history ?

  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 1,406
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 19 July at 11:17PM
    1000019767.jpg

    Some people do use stamps they opt out of simple delivery. But the risk is anything goes wrong you're not covered. I had people last week use stamps from the 90's. I could quite easily have stated it didn't arrive. And get refunded but people still use stamps. And I left positive feedback the stamps were also from collectors sets.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/simple-delivery?id=5575#section14

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 20 July at 7:53AM

    You cannot opt out of simple delivery for most things if they are eligible, you can opt out for certain large letter items. When you list if you set your own postage to LL and if the category is exempt you will get offered 2 boxes, one to opt for custom the other SD. Unless you opt out that way you are stuck with SD.

    Remember to get your proof of posting in case of losses. I am finding RM less reliable generally now than it ever was. You will also need to make sure you mark item as despatched .

    Lastly if using stamps for private non ebay items remember the postage is dearer if not paid for online- and factor that in.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    I am trying to use up my old stock of stamps for non ebay items , I've used some really old (obviously decimal) stamps and my local PO doesn't like them, one even got a supervisor as they thought I was using foreign stamps and refused to accept them to give me my POP. I actually write on the envelope now 'RM picture stamps to cover 2nd class LL post' (or whatever)

    Yoyr link to opting out of SD is useful as well, and does clarify that it only applies to certain LL or overweight items.

    Opting out

    The option to opt out and select Custom postage is only available for items in specific categories that are priced £20 and under. This includes items which are typically letter or large letter-sized and 100g or under. The £20 limit applies to the item price only and excludes the Buyer Protection Fee.

    You may also see the Custom postage option for some items that may be prohibited or restricted for the programme.

    You can see if your item is eligible for Simple Delivery, or if you have the option to choose Custom postage, when you're creating your listing.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,171
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I have been using my own stamps for some time now - mainly to use up my old stock that I bought in 1980's and 1990's. I can only use it for large letters or letters if I opt out of simple delivery. I only use them for items under £5. Anything above £5, I don't take a chance. Also if I want to use stamps, I check out his feedback left first - if he has too many "didn't receive item" etc then I don't use the stamps.

    So far I have been lucky - I have had only one letter going missing and the amount I lost was very small. I always get a POP from the post office. The post office lady is nice and she knows I use up these stamps - sometimes there are about 6-8 stamps to make up £1.55!!

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    I just noticed this was on a hijacked thread, so have moved it to its own thread.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BlueonBlue
    BlueonBlue Posts: 443
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Opps sorry bout that Soolin but its great you helped out and now others have added to the question .

  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 1,406
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

    @soolin yes, I assumed when people mention stamps, they mean cards and stamps paper cuttings.

    I did add the link in my reply for what they may or may not be able to use or opt out of. But going back to old stamps I would check the through Google lens first. I renewed about £40 pounds of old stamps few years ago through the post office. Unsure if that service is running possibly I'll check.

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    The stamp swap scheme was for bar coded stamps, picture stamps were not changed. Any picture stamp should still be perfectly useable as long as it's decimal, but as above some post offices wuth perhaps newer/younger staff have never seen them being used and may question them.

    The stamp swap scheme also only changed them for newer barcoded stamps which stillleft people like me with hundreds and hundreds of pounds worth of them.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 1,406
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

    They're are but you can still swap them for new barcoded supposedly trackable stamps I've not seen it work yet I think originally the barcode played a video of a sheep sheep. I never got it to work off a stamp.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.