We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Keeping current accounts when doing bank switches
Comments
-
I am also in my seventies, and I check one or two of my credit files monthly. Not because I am concerned about my meaningless credit score, or about my ability to get a mortgage or other credit (as I often was when I was younger), but because I want to monitor whether any accounts were fraudulently opened in my name. It actually did happen twice - someone managed to open JD Williams store credit accounts. I spotted it before any debt accrued and had the accounts closed immediately. Just last month, a new Virgin current account that I knew nothing about appeared on my Experian credit file. It turned out this had been added in error, and Experian swiftly removed it.
There have also been rare occasions when I got asked what looked like difficult questions when applying for bank accounts, credit cards and even a GovUK account. Questions like “when did you open a current account with xyz provider” - something I wouldn’t remember off hand. They are using Experian for these questions. Therefore it’s useful to have a free account with at least Experian, but I also have a Transunion one. I believe the MSE credit club also use Transunion.
I believe it is essential for anyone younger to know what’s on their credit files, unless they never want a mortgage, credit card, current account, or loan. Or for anyone who is concerned about ID theft. Landlords and letting agencies might check your credit files. AFAIK, some employers are also doing soft credit searches when considering job applications.6 -
Essential ? I don't think so.
I had mortgages continuously between the ages of 21 & 65. 10 mortgage loans at the same time at one point. I've spent my life opening various bank accounts & credit cards all without issues.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.
1 -
Interesting. A good friend also had a J D Williams account opened in her name by someone else. It happened a few months ago, and she was very pleased to have access to her credit files. She and I are 69 years old. Being aware is far better than not being aware. So much these days happens online and I want to know what is out there about me!
2 -
I am most happy to disagree with you on the importance of credit files, and so would Martin Lewis, I am sure. It would be pretty terrible advice to younger people not to bother. MSE provides great guidance on how to use credit file information for free, and for the avoidance of doubt, I'd never suggest anyone should pay a CRA for access to their information.
4 -
Indeed. Some send alerts when any new activity is detected. That is really useful. Deliberately not checking them is like sticking your fingers in your ears doing 'la la la'.
2 -
Indeed they do, my Nat West account alerts me when there is activity detected.
1 -
So you are using a credit reference agency! You said you had no interest in them!
1 -
No. I'm just a Nat West account holder. I'm not responsible for their choice to automatically notify me when they detect activity on my file.
1 -
I'm sure I had to sign up for that. Surely they can't access your credit reference without your permission. They always ask you, even if you're applying for a new account - they can't just dip in. In any case you could ask them to stop sending these messages, given you have no interest in your credit reference. If you're happy to receive the alerts then much of what you said earlier is nonsense.
1 -
Checking your credit reports every month is probably overkill as identity theft isn't that common.
I tend to only check one (Experian) when i think I have a problem.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

