We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best "bills" account that pays interest?

Temrael
Temrael Posts: 441 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 14 July at 8:21AM in Budgeting & bank accounts

Hi all,

I'm looking to make better use of my bills account. This is an old Santander Edge account that's reverted to an Everday Current Account (fee free, but no interest).

I typically keep a bit of a "float" in my bills account and would like to do more of this (having my Solar FiT payments paid there so they can help soften my energy bills etc.). I'd also like to remove my large Octopus balance and then move to variable DD (just paying the monthly bill each month in full).

So my question is, what current accounts might fit the bill (pun intended)?

I'd like to avoid any temporarily high interest rates if I can, as I don't really want to move this again in 3, 6 or 12 months.

The two that seem ok are…

a) Club Lloyds - 3% and I can meet the funding requirement ok
b) Kroo - 3.15% the only annoyance is they aren't part of the Current Account Switching Service

Nationwide at 5% is nice but only temporary (and I think I could have more than £1,500 in there at times).

Santander Edge Up would be easy but is only 2.5%, I'd like something that's closer to inflation.

Are there any others I've not thought of that I should look at? I can't do Chase unfortunately as we were with them and they won't let us back. 🙄

Thanks,

Temrael

Don't use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice.
«1

Comments

  • Temrael
    Temrael Posts: 441 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Oh, duh I forgot that Club Lloyds is tiered interest. That rules them out.

    Temrael

    Don't use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice.
  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 July at 2:55PM

    How big is the "float"?

    I think some cashback on DDs can be more attractive than the interest.

    E.g. https://www.zopa.com/bank-account/cashback-current-account?

  • Temrael
    Temrael Posts: 441 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July at 3:54PM

    Thanks Grumpy, yeah looks like similar proposition to Santander Edge Up, but without the fees.

    I'm wondering if Nationwide may be the way to go.

    It'd be annoying to have move after 12 months, and I'd probably have some funds over the £1,500 interest cap, but given it's 5%, it would probably still work out a better average interest rate than the 2% ones.

    Temrael

    Don't use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice.
  • macy08
    macy08 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper

    You could also try LHV bank they pay 3.75% on credit balances https://www.lhv.com/personal/accounts

  • Temrael
    Temrael Posts: 441 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks Macy, have you used them yourself?

    That rate is great but I've read Trustpilot reviews talking about transfers out getting held up, accounts being placed in review and customers having no access to their money for ages until it's resolved.

    Temrael

    Don't use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice.
  • macy08
    macy08 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper

    I've been using them just for my direct debits for about 3 months now and have had no issues. I like that I get a push notification the day before that a direct debit is coming out the next day. They pay me interest on the money sitting there to cover the direct debits which is great too. I don't regularly transfer money out but when I've done it I've had no issues whatsoever and money appears in the receiving bank straight away. The only gripe I have which I knew when signing up is that they still have not implemented standing orders, hopefully they'll have that up running sooner rather than later. Based on my limited experience I would recommend them. Maybe try with one direct debit initially and see how you get on

  • Temrael
    Temrael Posts: 441 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks Macy, that’s useful.

    Temrael

    Don't use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice.
  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    If your bills are £600 and you keep on average £1000 in that account then the interest rate is meaningless.

    At 4% you will only get up to £40 a year, probably less than £20 as your daily balance after bills will be lower.

    Cashback on direct debits even after fees could make more, 2% on £600 is £120 a year.

    Nationwide tends to pay it's fair share yearly - and we have a joint account for bills which qualifies us both - £100 each.

    There are also other paid accounts with perks - travel isnurance, mobile insurance - that could be better than "interests".

    Do the maths with your numbers and see what's best.

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 15 July at 1:17PM

    LHV is your best bet to be honest, BUT you will get no viable support. They don't even have a phone number and one customer emailed them to query why their card wouldn't work abroad and he got a reply a month later. We pay for our banking one way or another and it is a compromise to some extent. Get really high interest rates and you may well find customer support lacking.

    I have an account with LHV but was plagued by companies not accepting their details for direct debits. Some sites didn't like the debit card number and they're not part of CASS. My intention was to use them for my main banking requirements but there were too many negatives. If I were to experience a scam, whether through my own stupidity or otherwise, or had some other issue, knowing I couldn't contact them in a timely fashion is unacceptable in this day and age.

  • ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Possibly zopa. £30 pa cashback on DDs plus 2% interest on balances

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.