We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Declarable Modifiation or not ?

13»

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,240 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    My claims days were all dealing with the third party… you had to go through first party training but I skipped then dealing with policyholders. I started dealing with fault claims and then moved onto disputed liability and low value bodily injury so did some recovery work but not so much and so the first party team wouldnt ask us as many questions as the recovery team got over what could be paid out. Dont recall any claims where it was an issue.

    I did once have a claim off my Admiral policy and even though they excluded optional extras inc factory fit I had declared metallic paint and they did paint it with metallic paint when returning it. My guess is that in most cases they are turning a blind eye to minor things (assuming they have been declared) or just replacing with standard like your stereo example, but having the term means they can choose to apply it if its going to material shift the cost of the claim.

    I dont know about seam welding, did have a day trip to one of the ARCs we actually owned after I'd left claims and it was fairly amazing what the panel beaters could achieve… heavily crumpled side, couple of tack welds, a strategic couple of tugs and the panel looked better than its mirror panel that hadnt been damaged in the accident.

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I had a quote from an insurer that asked me if a 5 year old 2nd hand car had any factory fitted options. I just
    thought you are the type of company that will never pay out. I did mention several items and asked them if
    that was standard or a factory fitted option or extra and they could not answer.

    I asked them if they didn't know how was the average car buyer supposed to know? I got bored of winding
    them up at that point and went elsewhere.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.