We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Estate agent asking for survey report
Hi. So i pulled out of a purchase because the survey came back really negative. Would cost tens of thousands down the line to fix everything. So i pulled out. 2 weeks later the estate agent has asked if i could send them the survey report so they can show it to the seller. Should i do this? I mean i’m not going back in for the property and i’m viewing elsewhere. Just wondered if it’s something i should be giving the estate agent? I’ve also looked on Zoopla and the house is already back on the market for 10k cheaper.
Comments
-
What did the survey cost you?
Ask the EA for half.
4 -
You can look at it two way - they're cheeky and tell them to do one (or pay you towards it) or a kind gesture that might save someone else the hassle (presuming the agent shares it)
1 -
My buyers gave the survey to my estate agent and he told me what they were picking that made them want to reduce their offer. Two months after the agreed price so I'd lost other offers.
I didn't agree that the findings warranted that sum and I wasn't allowed to see it in black and white
I've no idea if this is normal but I would certainly ask for surveys being done more quickly next time.
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
1 -
I wouldn’t give it away. If they want to buy it, half what you paid would be fair.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.3 -
No reason to share the report if you don't wish to.
Have you reviewed the report together with someone impartial? Surveys often read far more negative than they really are as the Surveyor will have couched everything very conservatively to protect their PI. It may well be that the EA wants to see the report to try to get you back on the property by explaining how they see the comments that have been made.
Even if you are decided definitively against this property now, you need to understand how Survey reports need to be read and understood or you will likely just find yourself back in exactly the same spot for every future alternative house you may decide will suit you.
1 -
OP, when we sold our house first time, the buyer pulled out after their survey. They sent a copy of the report to our EA who sent it to us. We did some work from that report and then sold second time. The first buyer didn't have to share the report but it had no value to them. If they'd asked for a few quid we may well have paid it. Personally I'd say let them have it if you are no longer interested in the property. It has no value to you, and is only really of information value for them anyway. They might still get their own survey or may be able to save on that and get specialist reports instead.
1 -
I'd be tempted to say you'd be willing to sell it to them or any other potential buyers at 50% of the cost. A new potential buyer will likely snack your hands off
0 -
Not sure they would. As a buyer I would still want a survey that I had commissioned - not one provided by the estate agent.
0 -
….and you are not likely to be given the details of any other potential buyer(s).
0 -
"Should I do this?"
The choice is yours.
Easte agents are all smiles until the sale goes through or you back out from what I have experienced.
Therefore, you spent money on the report—no need to justify anything, etc., as you can pull out regardless.
Ask them how much are they/seller prepared to pay. Personally, I accept anything over 20 quid as money already spent and wasted—but ask for 70% and see what the two-faced lot say.
20 quid can buy you a bag of chips, cod and mushy peas - 20 quid is 20 quid but aim a lot, lot higher intially
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



