We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Jet2 compensation

We booked a package holiday to Rhodes through jet2 in May. We paid extra for a room with its own pool. For context, the holiday was around £1400, about £200 was for the upgraded room. On the way out, the airline broke our pushchair. Then the room we were put in was on a building site. The room still had wires hanging out the walls with no sockets on. The pool had 2 inches of water in, was full of fag butts, rubbish and debris and had wires hanging into it. The shower was just boiling hot and wouldn't turn down causing my 2yo to go bright red. There was constant drilling through the walls of our room and banging etc. We couldn't leave our room as it was torrential rain. We weren't moved rooms until the following eveving which was very basic and my partner and 2yo were badly bitten by bed bugs. We lost 2 days of our holiday in the dangerous room and then was bitten in the other. After 2 months waiting for a reply jet2 offered me £150 which doesnt even cover the extra I paid for the room! I explained I was offered £433 on my return so it has now been upped to that but that really only covers the room difference they said £70 of it was for the bussy so only about £150 is compensation which doesn't seem enough for all the problems. Do I refuse it and how do I go about escalating it?

Comments

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Please tell me you didnt include the weather in your original complaint?

  • Dice1
    Dice1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    No. Just giving context we couldn't leave the room and away from the noise

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Hopefully you made documented complaints at the time, not just afterwards, and to both Jet2 and the hotel? Do you have those complaints (and the responses) in writing? Do you have photos/videos of the issues?

  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    There are official avenues for holidaymakers to register formal complaints in Greece, (to the Tourist Police for example) - however it has to be done with as little delay as possible in the resort and supported by appropriate evidence.

    The Jet2 rep needs to be involved obviously.

  • Dice1
    Dice1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Jet2 were made fully aware od all the issues whilst in resort. I had lots of calls and saw the in resort rep and spoke to customer services on many occasions. I have loads of pictures and videos but don't know how I escalate it as the lady from jet2 today wasnt willing to entertain any higher offer. She was reluctantly to even give me what I had already been offered!

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    You need to complain in writing, documenting all the issues and outlining the evidence you have, the impact of each issue and what you expect Jet2 to do in return. Be clear about what you want them to pay you as compensation. Give them a deadline to respond (14 days is not unreasonable) and advise that you will commence legal action if they don't respond. Be prepared to escalate the complaint to ABTA if you are not satisfied, and then to go to small claims if you still cant get a resolution.

  • Dice1
    Dice1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thanks. I sent an email to them when I got home in mid May but its taken them this long to respond. It wasn't a holiday in any which way with all the issues and by the time Ive replaced the pushchair they broke I really won't have any money for the downgraded room we were given or any kind of compensation money! Ill have a look at ABTA thanks

  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The CEO of Jet2 is Steve Heapy - I emailed him a few years ago and he quickly passed the matter to one of his senior sidekicks and the issue was actioned satisfactorily.

    Might be worth trying the direct route ?

    sheapy@jet2.com

    I would suggest not going into the fine detail of your complaint initially, just the general grievances - and keep the weather out of it, they have no control over that aspect.

  • Dice1
    Dice1 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thanks for the previous responses. I did a complaint through Abta and basically Jet2 arent budging. I now have to decide whether to escalate it and pay the £150 to apply for arbitration. I dont know how much chance I have of success. The current 'compensation' offer only covers the cost of replacing my pushchair and the price difference for the extra I paid for the upgraded room we didnt get so dont feel theses any element of any actual compensation

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.