We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fault disguised to deceive!

I bought a bathroom basin from Amazon (third party seller apparently) last October, had it fitted and was quite happy with it. Recently when cleaning it I noticed what looked like paint coming away from the inside corner. On closer inspection and some more rubbing I realised that it had been filled in with some material and spray painted over to hide the damage the paint now wearing off. The basin is still usable but I feel angry that an item that I purchased as new and perfect was in fact faulty and covered up in order to deceive the purchaser. All Amazon say is return it and they will refund my postage. It appears to be a Chinese seller. I had to pay to have it installed and would have to pay again to have another one fitted so that solution is not feasible. I have contacted the seller and they have said basically hard luck it’s over six months although the fault was there from the beginning but deliberately hidden.

Can anyone advise me on my rights as I feel angry that they are getting away with cheating buyers.

Sue

«1

Comments

  • dumpster_fire2025
    dumpster_fire2025 Posts: 318
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 July at 11:51AM

    If they're a third party seller based in China then you effectively have no rights.

    You could try and escalate with Amazon and see if they'll do something but outside of that you'll just have to chalk it up to experience and be more careful about vetting third parties on sites like Amazon.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,177
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Agreed, although you have exactly the same rights as buying from anywhere else, its generally impossible to enforce those rights, so effectively you are stuck. Keep trying amazon, but you may need to chalk it up to experience

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,316
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Are Amazon refunding cost plus your postage cost to send it back?

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,442
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 July at 2:38PM

    Do you have a link to this faulty basin on Amazon and a photo of the fault?

    It would cost a lot of money to send to China and would Amazon really refund you all the cost?

    Edit. If you still like the basin is there a way of painting/sealing it to look like new as that be easier than paying a plumber 2 more times to dismantle and refit a new one.

    That's if it can be done.

    Is the cover up nothing to do with the plumber who fitted it?

  • Susan_Turton
    Susan_Turton Posts: 3
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newbie
    IMG_0395.jpeg

    Amazon said that if I returned it they would refund my postage.

    The basin is usable and water tight but I have still been sold a faulty or damaged item. Presumably at manufacturer the issue was noticed and instead of scrapping or selling it as repaired they tried to hide fault . It was obvious that in time the paint would rub off. I just feel that they shouldn’t be able to just say hard luck. It is obvious deception and they shouldn’t just be able to get away with it.

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,535
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 July at 5:54PM

    …'Amazon said that if I returned it they would refund my postage.'…

    Return it to where? Most returns originally delivered by Amazon go to their Edinburgh warehouse.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,442
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I am assuming China as OP said it was a Chinese seller.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,442
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Do you have wider angle shot of the basin?

    Looking at the photo it looks like it's been scrubbed with wire brush.

  • Susan_Turton
    Susan_Turton Posts: 3
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newbie

    The blob is the filled in repair and the surrounding colour is where it has been sprayed or airbrushed to hide it. The paint has come off of the repair as I have cleaned it but still remains further up as can be seen by the lined area. The paint looks whiter than the basin.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,442
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thats why I asked for a wider photo and Amazon link.

    Where the filler is what does it look like underneath that ,is it ok or any cracks?

    You could look at getting the basin repainted or coated but I don't know if it's viable.

    The options are getting a plumber to remove it and then buy one to put in it's place and send it back a Amazon cost.

    Live with it.

    Paint it.

    Fit a new one and dispose of the old basin.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.