We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Renew Mazda Assist / Warranty?

Newly_retired
Newly_retired Posts: 3,380 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

My Mazda 2 Hybrid is almost 3 years old and the warranty is about to expire.

I have been quoted £363 to renew the warranty plus Mazda Assist, or £75 to renew just Mazda Assist.

I reckon I am most likely to need Mazda Assist for a puncture, given the state of the roads. In fact that is the only time I have needed it so far. The response was almost immediate. Great service.

What wou;d you do?

«1

Comments

  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    It's a no-brainer - go for it.

    It's cheaper and better than any alternative cover you will find.

  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,662 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I see the Mazda now include 7 year warranties for cars registered since Sept 25.

  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 3,380 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Unfortunately being a bit older mine had only a 3 year warranty, but it speaks welll for the brand.

  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 853 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    my Toyota has just had its first mot, I renewed the Toyota assist ( which is through the AA) , it was the same price as the AA , as has been pointed out, even a puncture can leave you stranded if you have no spare, and the supplied gunk you get nowadays has very limited use..

  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Personally I wouldn’t do extended warranty as you aren’t going to be covered for anything that is wear and tear. I’d only do it if the car model had known faults.

    You’ll need breakdown cover regardless and £75 seems ok, you aren’t going to get similar cover for a vastly lower price elsewhere.

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I renewed the manufacturers warranty on my Peugeot up to last year. It came with MOT cover which covers anything that fails on the MOT. My main worry was the wet belt issue which mine has avoided thankfully. Over the last 5 years it has paid off in 2 of those years, not paid off in the other 3. I would look at what the cover actually covers and go from there. £363 isn't a bad price, but the alternative approach is to set a similar amount aside in a savings account in case the car needs any ongoing work.

    All in I've spent around £2k on warranty cover, and maybe gained about £1k in work I haven't had to pay for. Piece of mind cost me £1k?

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I wouldn't be without the breakdown service. Warranty down to you, but as the car is a rebadged Toyota Yaris it probably won't be needed.

    Toyota will warranty a car up to 10 years old which shows they have confidence in the vehicle, but repairs on a hybrid can be expensive. I have claimed on a Toyota extended warranty on a 7 year old Toyota - new wheel bearings, but our current Yaris is almost 5 years old and has had no issues whatsoever. We do have the comfort of a Toyota warranty following the service earlier this year.

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I had free Volvo Assist with each service, but the potential downside was that they would only recover me to the nearest Volvo dealer, hence repairs at main dealer prices.

  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 3,380 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks to all who replied.

    I have succeeded in renewing the Mazda Assist by phone, but decided against the Extended warranty, for all the reasons already given.

    I had to go to a bit of trouble to get the renewal as I did not receive any notification. It seems this is because the dealership from which I bought the car at one year old failed to update the records.

    Although I was promised e-mail confirmation within 48 hours on Wednesday, I am still waiting. What is also slightly concerning is that in the Mazda app it shows my Mazda Assist as being Expired. Another phone call tomorrow.

  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 3,380 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Not much progress. I was again promised the documents by email within a few minutes - not arrived.

    For back up I also requested the documents by post which will take ten days.

    I was told nobody could update my MAzdaAp account, which still shows Mazda Assistance as Expired.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.