We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Plusnet Fiber, network extenders or MESH
Hi, not massive on tech so hoping for some advice
Currently have decent internet, c70mbs with 3 TP link extenders and 2 powerline gismos in the lounge where the router is. All these are bout 6 years old.
We are getting Fiber 500mbs upgrade with Plusnet , the router I believe is staying the same HUB TWO.
what do I need to look for in terms of replacing the extenders and powerlines.
I am only surfing and streaming, and will be looking to go to sky stream in about a year. Currently use Freely on 2 TVs plus NOW sport. I have ethernet from TP links to two of the TVs.
should I consider a mesh system , don't know much about them or if more wiring is involved with them.
TIA
Comments
-
why replace anything if you don’t have issues ? , just because you are improving the input speed to 500Mb (way more than needed for any single TV service, that’s around 5Mb for HD or 25Mb for UHD ) doesn’t mean downstream needs changing , you could replace your distribution network equipment but see absolutely no difference, personally I’d wait and get the FTTP in first and then see if you need to change anything, chances are you won’t…watching TV on a 70 Mb service or a 500 Mb service is the same , and unless you I tend to watch 10+ HD screens simultaneously , something you don’t currently do , your current equipment is probably fine .
2 -
I agree with @iniltous "why replace anything if you don’t have issues ?" also from what you say it very much sounds like you don't need 500Mb internet service - 145Mb would be more than adequate.
@buyhighselllow - If you have problems with your current set-up let us know and we can try to help - but if it's working why change it?
1 -
If you are using wi-fi and powerline extenders in the same room as the router that does not sound like a typical setup.
But if it works for you fair enough, as above - you shouldn't need to change anything.
One point to consider, that router has 4 ethernet ports, one of them will be needed for the new cable for your FTTP service - just in case you are already using all 4.
1 -
You won't get the full speed of your internet connection through your powerline adaptors and maybe not through the WiFi extenders.
If that matters to you look at mesh setups to cover a whole house. Mesh setups have 2 or more (coverage dependant) units that require power placed around the property to give good coverage. They communicate with each other via WiFi.
1 -
Good advice. Our only "issue" is Freely occasionally dropping out in the upstairs bedroom and mu office, both have TP links nearby
I think holding fire on upgrading hardware and seeing how things work after going to fiber this week is sensible
Over £2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016 :beer:0 -
If the upstairs TP-Link unit has an option to connect via an ethernet cable, try that rather than connecting via wifi. It cuts out one wifi link.
0 -
One of the things I love with having a mesh system is that when I change provider, I just 'unplug' the master mesh unit from the old broadband hub, plug in the new broadband hub and that's it. No messing with new addresses and passwords, as all my hardware connects to the mesh network ID/password and not the broadband hub.
I've recently switched from FTTC to 5G broadband and it's just the same. It's a 2 minute job.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

