We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Co-op Bank online issue.

bendipa
bendipa Posts: 200
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 3 July at 4:37PM in Budgeting & bank accounts

Most of the time I don't have an issue with this bank where I've been a customer for over 15 years. But recently once logged in I can't access my current account. I just get the spinning circle for about 60 seconds, followed by 'there has been an error, please try again'. So I can't access my latest transactions or statements. I also hold a credit card with Co-op, but there's no issue accessing that account on the same page.

Having reported the issue to Co-op, I'm given the usual predictable fob-off, 'clear browser cache, cookies, change your browser' etc. But whatever browser I've tried (Firefox and Chromium) it's the same issue. This has happened before a few years ago. Then, I recall being told no-one has reported the issue, clear your browser, and the problem went on for weeks, until one day it suddenly stopped. But they never admitted that the issue was their website.

So I now have to travel some 10 miles to my nearest Co-op branch to try and sort this out. Is there another Co-op bank customer here finding the same issue?

«1

Comments

  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,732
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    So I now have to travel some 10 miles to my nearest Co-op branch to try and sort this out.

    I think this will be a wasted trip. If you can make a transfer to another bank, just open a new account and do this. Or switch the account, possibly for a bonus.

    Did you try to use their app instead?

  • jaxsmar
    jaxsmar Posts: 580
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have the same bank sometimes I have to come off the "app" then go in again via online banking often they have "maintenance work" and yes I've had issues but normally no trouble once not on the "app" my local branch is a bus and train ride away!

    Penny wise pound foolish. 366 days 1p challenge 2020/21/22/23/24/25 completed.
    No.12 52 week envelope challenge 2026
    No.12 1p a day savings challenge 2026.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,506
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 3 July at 8:06AM

    Could it be a password issue? A few weeks back I got messages about changing my password if it had any special characters in it, and only using numbers and letters going forward. I do t recall the actual wording but it did say something like you will need to do this otherwise the log in password won’t be acknowledged.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 July at 9:55AM

    I have had similar log in issues for ever. I tend to use the Android app. Sometimes the spinning wheel with spin for quite some time, then it'll log me in. Sometimes I am unable to even use my biometric login. Either way, I close the app and try again. Sometimes I need to do this two or three times. The Co-operative Bank appears to be using a legacy platform and until they replace it this will happen a lot. I'm hoping that the Coventry Building Society will replace the software the bank is currently using.

  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    All currently working for me. I have never had app or website issues, except the scheduled ones.

    I doubt a trip to a branch will end up achieving much. Sometimes worth checking the browser is up to date.

    You can always get your balance or the amounts of your last 6 credits or debits read out on the automated telephone service.

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Good for you. There are periods of time when I could say "all currently working for me" but there are more glitches than I have experienced with others banks.

  • bendipa
    bendipa Posts: 200
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I haven't made the trip yet and don't use a smart phone, so no app. I do have another bank account so might transfer everything there if I'm forced to. But I use both banks for very different purposes. It would be easy enough for Co-op bank to sort this issue out, but I'm fairly sure they can't be arsed, or care if they lose a customer.

  • bendipa
    bendipa Posts: 200
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    It's not logging in that's the problem. Once I'm in it's trying to open my current account that is the issue

    As mentioned in my op, I can login. But I can't access my current account as it won't open - spinning wheel for a minute followed by error message, please try again.

  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Do you have any other sites or logins that are causing a problem? Try on a different device if you have access to one.

    If you're willing to share the operating system and browser version someone on here may be able to replicate.

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,490
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 3 July at 5:32PM

    Smartphone apps will also run on tablets e.g., iPad.

    Have you tried using vanilla Chrome with no add-ins, blockers or VPNs?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.