We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help! My mobile number has been spoofed

2»

Comments

  • honeybea
    honeybea Posts: 21
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    so today I got around 10 calls from mobiles trying to call me back 😢 all between 11 am and 3 pm

    My number doesn’t appear on “who’s calling me”

    I would be loath to change my number. Sounds like there’s nothing I can though though :-(

  • honeybea
    honeybea Posts: 21
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    this is getting worse! I’ve just got a call from someone who’d be rang from my number and asked for a verification code. They said they were from Amazon and they were going to send him a code to log in into his account. He didn’t trust it and he hang up and called me to make sure.
    so this is worse than I thought. It’s not marketing calls they’re using my number for, it’s actually scams!

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,644
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    I get many calls on my landline appearing to be from UK mobile numbers. If I answer them it's an initial silence before it connects you to a scammer. I don't answer them any more and they never leave a message.

    I suspect the scammers are enable to generate a random UK mobile number from wherever they are. If that happens to be a live UK number, you get the circumstances the OP is in. As the OP's number will probably end up on a blacklist, the scammers will drop using it. Annoying, but there's nothing else you can do except suffer the inconvenience of changing your number.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,648
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It was always going to be scams, that was 100% guaranteed.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,648
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You don't have to change your number at all, eventually they'll change to a different number. The rise of VoIP has made it easy via computer to generate endless numbers and target the correct country codes and even area codes for landline numbers.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,446
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Android call screening works well for this too, none of them answer any of the call screening questions. I get many missed mobile calls each day, I assume all are spoofed like this.

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,644
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    I thought I recalled that the government support of the rollout for digital voice/VOIP etc. had told us that spoofing numbers would be harder. ChatGPT (what more reliable source could you ask? 😉) said:

    For example, in November 2025 the government announced measures including:

    blocking spoofed phone numbers, so scammers cannot as easily pretend to be calling from a UK bank or government department;

    In reality, it is apparently a lot easier to do than ever before.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 771
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I believe spoofing LANDLINE numbers is now more difficult which is why the scammers have switched to mobile numbers

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.