We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Paying £9 for oil and liquid disposal.

JohnSwift10
JohnSwift10 Posts: 580 Forumite
Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

My Honda Jazz hybrid is due it's first service and I had prepaid for the first 3 years.

So I booked it in and they say there is £9 charge I have to pay to dispose of the oil and any other liquids replaced during the service.

Since when, is that not part of the service?

At least the car is getting a complimentary valet.

«1

Comments

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Would you prefer to pay the same price and for it not to be itemised?

  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    You could ask for the old fluids, filters etc to be returned to you and you dispose of them yourself.

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I suspect that the OP would prefer to not pay anything more having pre-paid for the services when clearly getting rid of the waste was something that was expected when they were offered "3 years servicing for £XXX"!

    But they don't really have much choice but to pay extra- I'd ask for the old oil back and take it to the tip myself on the way home for nothing, mine (and most others I'd expect) will take a gallon of old oil as domestic waste.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You could ask of course, but unless you are a licenced waste management contractor they would be committing a criminal offence if they handed you the waste.

    The reason the Environmental Act says that is because they suspect you might just pour it into the nearest river.

  • ceeej
    ceeej Posts: 11 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    It's rather interesting how many independent garages have oil fired heating.

    Just saying…

  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Interesting one - I would have thought that as it would be their own waste they are getting back, the EA wouldn't apply. A bit like keeping your old tyre when it has been replaced. Carrying your own waste in your own vehicle is not an offence either.

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    But it wasn't waste when you drove your car into the garage! Oil and filter were doing their job, trapping particles and lubricating the engine. The garage could have recycled it, repurposed it in some way such as chemically converting it to cattle cake or whatever, but they decided there was no further use for it. At that point it is magically transformed into waste and from that moment it can only be handled by licenced contractors.

    If when you took your car in you had said, 'I want the old oil back please, it's great for preserving my garden fence,' that would have been fine (so long as it is legal of course) because nobody would have said the magic words and reclassified it as waste.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I think its cheeky of them to add it on if there's a prepaid service plan for the car. I'd not be paying it. Of course, it might be buried within the T&Cs what the service plan covers.

  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I’d be complaining.

    A prepaid service is exactly that. Some don’t include certain things but they should all include the absolute basics which fluid disposal is.

    Anyone above saying it’s standard clearly doesn’t understand the difference between an itemised bill and a prepaid service. I hope MSE staff don’t find that statement to be offensive as they have been quite touchy recently.

    I had a prepaid service completed 2 weeks ago and didn’t pay extra for fluid disposal and they’d have been told where to go if they had tried.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,306 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    You need to ask the garage that question. They are the people who know how their charging works.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.