We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pay debt or apply for mortgage first

Hi, looking for advice on following -

Want to buy first house in 12-15 months time.

My income £75k

Wife's income £28k

Savings in wife's name £10k

Savings in my name £0

Debt in my name £28k (all credit card). Debt utilisation is 28k/30k. Bills up to date.

In next 12 months can put aside £30k.

Do I

A) pay off all Debt and then start saving for deposit. (will then mean delaying buying)

B) pay off 50% Debt and put £15k into Savings for £25k deposit (add on to wife's £10k). And apply for mortgage.

C) alternatives?

Looking to purchase a home for £400k on a 23yr mortgage.

Advice welcome.

«1

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,094 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Assuming You are renting at the moment, how does your current rent compare to your likely future mortgage payments? I would lean towards (b), but only if you can continue to pay off the debt once your are paying a mortgage every month.

  • MrFreshers
    MrFreshers Posts: 5 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

    Yes renting at present. Will still be able to pay off debts with a big mortgage payment, albeit over a slightly longer period.

    I guess I was also wondering if debts of £15k/£30k available would have a major impact on my mortgage application

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,094 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    If you've not missed any payments and the overall debt is reducing them it's unlikely to have a major impact. You could always speak to a mortgage broker in 8-12 months time and get a more informed opinion of your options.

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 30 June at 12:50PM

    Aside from the financial aspect, how did you accrue £28k in debt and £0k in savings on a £75k income? Are you deliberately holding onto the household debt while your wife holds onto the savings, or is this your own spending?

    Was there a one off emergency event, or is there disparity between your incoming and outgoings. If the latter, I'd suggest option a) so you can simultaneously work on building better spending habits.

    Houses have been losing value in real terms over the past few years, so I don't think there's as much urgency to buy as much and as soon as possible as the past, of course it's something you should ideally work towards in the medium term.

    Woodstok2000

    If you've not missed any payments and the overall debt is reducing them it's unlikely to have a major impact.

    £28k on credit cards is no small sum and is near the max limit. To pay it off over 5 years is nearly £500 a month without interest. If it's your typical ~30% credit card interest rate, the payment would be nearly double that (I assume it's not though, if it is I'd be urging OP to go to the DFW forums urgently).

    To put that into context, the OP is considering putting down £25k deposit on a £400k house, so a £375k mortgage over 23 years. At a 4% rate (which is generous as they're currently 5%+), that gives ~£2000 a month.

    While the counter to this might be "yeah but they could just make minimum payments", but I don't think it's in keeping with this forum to suggest people should make minimum payments and carry credit card debt for decades. Especially if the plan relies on 0% interest rate deals never drying up.

    Know what you don't
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,092 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    I guess I was also wondering if debts of £15k/£30k available would have a major impact on my mortgage application

    Yes it will in terms of affordability.

    Life in the slow lane
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    They will reduce the amount you can borrow and affect your affordability calculations. So yes they will have an effect. You can play around with mortgage calculators on lenders websites to judge the effect for yourself.

    How do you plan to pay for the moving and other costs associated with buying a house, solicitors, stamp duty etc? These can all add up and it looks like your planned savings will be eaten up by the deposit.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Debt will likely impact your affordability more than the savings would benefit it, but mortgage brokers all have different criteria.
    Plus the quicker you pay off the credit cards, the less interest you'll have and the more you'll be able to save.

    If you're planning on buying in the next year or so I'd start having a clear out now, and see if there's anything you no longer need you can sell to put towards debt.
    I'd also check out https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/debt-free-wannabe and see if you can prune down your outgoings to get into a better shape for the deposit.

    Obvious our advise is worth what you've paid for it, so I'd recommend talking to a mortgage broker with all the figures available and see what you can afford to mortgage and what steps to take next.

  • MrFreshers
    MrFreshers Posts: 5 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

    I got into the debt through reckless spending but that is now fixed. I can afford to pay back around £2.3k per month because I personally take home around £4.7k p/m and my bills are currently around £2.1k including things like food shopping included. I will also get around a £2k net bonus in August.

    When I get a mortgage, my household income will be £6.6k which easily affords a £2.4k mortgage for example, bills and debt repayment.

    Clearly I should not be in the financial position I am, however my salary has only increased quite dramatically in the last 6 months or so.

  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Agree with @Herloz

    I have always been of the view that the main thing to avoid is paying interest unless absolutely necessary

    This is because I don't think it very smart to make the credit card company rich instead of myself

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 30 June at 8:49PM

    Jumblebumble

    Agree with @Herloz

    I have always been of the view that the main thing to avoid is paying interest unless absolutely necessary

    This is because I don't think it very smart to make the credit card company rich instead of myself

    I tend to take a more mathematical approach.

    Leveraging debt where there are higher return opportunities makes sense (stoozing is a basic example of this, but a longer term example might be my view that people shouldn't overpay mortgages and take them over as long a term as possible in favour of investing more in their pensions).

    Generally there aren't many opportunities as average debt rates tend to be higher than average credit rates. I also completely recognise that humans are not data-driven analytical machines and what works in theory doesn't automatically work in practice. Consolidation loans make sense from a mathematic perspective, but in practice provide a false sense of comfort that very often leads people to build even more debt than they started with.

    Leveraging debt takes a high level of financial discipline that is uncommon. I guess in a long-winded way I agree with your sentiment that generally avoiding paying interest is sensible, though for slightly different reasons.

    MrFreshers what is the current interest rate on your credit card debt? Is it 0% or 30% (or something else). If it's closer to 30% you should absolute throw everything at it to get rid of it as quickly as possible before even thinking about a mortgage (including your wife's' savings to be honest).

    Know what you don't
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.