We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Hire a van in Scotland drop off London

maggiesoup
maggiesoup Posts: 820 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

Hi all, son moving furniture down south but he's stumped when asking the big hiring organisations. Does anyone know of a company or company where you can hire one way only? Or know of a car/van club that does this? Or indeed any way of getting a van load of stuff from A to B. Thankyou 🙂

«13

Comments

  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Better off asking one of the shipping / hauling companies for a quote , someone will be able to match the load, got to be mega expensive to one way hire a van

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,966 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I fear the money-saving option is to self-drive it both ways.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,139 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I've used these guys before - would recommend, and reasonably priced:

    https://dandecouriers.ltd/quote/

  • inthedepthsofthesea
    inthedepthsofthesea Posts: 50 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 June at 11:00PM

    I've done one way car rentals before and found it can be reasonable if you use a nation-wide company.

    I've just checked Enterprise (other van hire companies are available) for 24hrs on a July weekend and Aberdeen-Aberdeen is around £90 and Aberdeen-NW London is around £128. So, not much more. I assume national companies don't mind too much where their vans end up.

    @maggiesoup why do you say "stumped"? I know that doesn't include diesel, so are you looking for cheaper alternatives?

  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 3,212 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I did one way car hire with Enterprise which worked out much cheaper than parking for a 2 week holiday. But I've only ever seen it for airports drop offs.

    Not sure if vans are the same, but is the London drop off near enough to return the van to Heathrow or Gatwick?

    A one man band might be prepared to it, but you would be paying for the day plus about £1 per mile. So I doubt anything will be cheap.

  • maggiesoup
    maggiesoup Posts: 820 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Never heard of this before. Can you direct me to where I could enquire? Thanks

  • maggiesoup
    maggiesoup Posts: 820 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    why do you say "stumped"? I know that doesn't include diesel, so are you looking for cheaper alternatives?

    I meant he's tried Enterprise etc but they say they don't do one way vans.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,251 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Enterprise do one way van hire, https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/van-hire/one-way-van-hire.html and would be surprised if the other nationals dont. As others say you basically have to pay the salary of a member staff to drive it back for you and their return travel.

    Note that not all sites deal with vans and annoyingly if you choose one that doesnt do vans it will just show you cars. For example Livingston and Peckham both do vans but the same hire for a Luton goes from £80 with pickup/drop off at Livingston to £350 for one way to Peckham

  • maggiesoup
    maggiesoup Posts: 820 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I looked at Edinburgh airport to Gatwick (as suggested, maybe airports better) brought up 66 vehicles, not one was a van. I think he'll just have to drive both ways doh!

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,251 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Edinburgh Airport doesnt do Vans. If you initially select it as a normal hire you can then select the vehicle type and it will show you the sites that deal with that vehicle class… for Vans there were only 3 around Edinburgh one of which was Livingston.

    Do the same to work out the drop off as again a non-van site won't accept a van being dropped off. Thats how I got to Livingston to Peckham (sort of, I know Peckham does vans because Ive used them many times)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.