We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is this a new feature with Amazon or am I being watched for returns?

I've actually returned quite a bit in recent times. Nothing shady I must add. I'll be unsure of sizing in clothing & so as to save time getting the wrong one, returning, buying a new one I'll just order 2 sizes it might be & then return the one that doesn't fit.

Not just clothes, I've returned various other items. Some faulty, some not.

I've started getting this though…

amazon.JPG

Wondering if everyone is getting that or whether my account is likely being monitored for returns.

🤐🤐🤐

«1

Comments

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,509
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    I haven’t had that message although admittedly I only ever return damaged items and then only a miniscule percentage is affected.

    Amazon are well known for stopping serial returners from buying and personally if you are outside the normal percentage for returns I would be a little worried. Perhaps for a short while only buy things you know you will be happy with and won’t need to return? Their return policy is quite generous but it costs them money and they will seek to recoup that by identifying people with a high rate of returns.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • teaselMay
    teaselMay Posts: 801
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Never seen that, I just tried to test it for you but inadvertently chose something that doesn't allow self service return - which I've also never seen before, don't want to try again in case they flag my account!

    I think you must have to return a lot, I'd guess a high proportion of items bought rather than absolute number, because I've had spells where a lot of items have legitimately been returned without any problem. I came to the conclusion it'd probably be good for my finances if my account was closed

  • paradigital
    paradigital Posts: 69
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite

    I don’t return much, maybe three items in the last 100 or so. I had that exact screen at the weekend just gone when returning some shoes that were completely the wrong size (ordered a 10.5 got a 5).

  • PocketWatchMan
    PocketWatchMan Posts: 65
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have seen this screen once. Doesn't surprise me one bit, going back 10-years or so my Amazon return rate used to be one item in 20, one in 30, something like that.

    Now with them using thinner and thinner packaging, it increased more than exponentially, by a factor of 7,8,9x. I've ordered supplements and had broken packets, leaving a trail over all the rest of the items in the packet.. have had so many things arrived dented, damaged, or soaked through wet, to a significant degree. One reason why I'm moving more purchases back offline (that, and the recent comments by the company's top brass that most humans need to be restricted from accessing water, because AI centres will need it more…)

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks for the feedback.

    I'll get on to Amazon live chat & see what they say

    🤐🤐🤐

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 June at 2:10PM
    Amzn.JPG

    This could take a while.

    They've had another bash & still don't seem to get what I'm asking.

    I suspect I'm not talking to someone with English as their first language.

    Well I asked for them to forward me to their supervisor or at least someone else because I didn't believe they understood my question at all. I was clear that it wasn't a complaint about them, I just didn't see us getting anywhere.

    They said they'd send me to their supervisor but that I'd only get told the same because they have access to the same resources.

    Supervisor gets on …. immediately understands the question being asked, took a screenshot of what was going on for me, sent this on to the relevant dept & I should get a response via email within 48hrs as to what's going on.

    Watch them ban me now :( Was looking in to StreamFab recently (haven't got it though, just looked in to it) & I've heard that Amazon can be quite ban happy compared to other platforms.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,297
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Is a really cheap way to get your returns percentage down to buy lots of free ebooks (and not return them!!)? I guess it depends on whether their algorithm is based on quantity or value.

    If you think that free items may not count, there are quite a lot of sub-£1 items that you could buy.

    I would find a ban from Amazon a real inconvenience.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Me too tbh. It has bailed me out a number of times. Christmas especially.

    Regards their e-books, I assume you mean Kindle?

    If so then I can't actually connect to the internet for a while yet with that if you catch my drift?

    🤐🤐🤐

  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 27,297
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You don’t need a kindle to buy their ebooks. There’s a kindle app available for virtually every device.

    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • stormCat99
    stormCat99 Posts: 3,345
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I had that exact message yesterday for the first time. I just assumed they have updated their returns process. I don't have a huge number of returns. I buy a lot - actually have bought more than usual in the last month. I have had the odd return but nothing major.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.