We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Southern Water extorting by DD

kphunter
kphunter Posts: 7 Forumite
Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

Our water bill went up to £799 this year, and even though the account was already more than £500 in credit, they decided to increase the direct debit.

I queried this - by the time we have paid the year's direct debits, together with the amount already in credit, we will have overpaid the bill by more than £700. I asked them to reduce the DD so that it would cover the amount of the bill - they refused and said it's not possible!

The only way to pay this year's bill and no more was to cancel the DD and pay the bill twice a year, which I have done.

I asked for this sharp practice to be raised as a complaint, I've had no reply of course.

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,423 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is there any financial advantage to you for paying by DD like a discount or a period of free credit?

    If not then just pay on demand as you have decided to do.

    Not seeing "extortion" or "sharp practice", just a convenient way of paying a bill that you've decided not to use.

    Your complaint will fail.

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,094 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier

    I pay by standing order and so I stay in control. I'll reconsider that if they ever offer an incentive to pay some other way. There are times in the cycle when I am in debit and get angry threatening letters. They go in recycling.

  • kphunter
    kphunter Posts: 7 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

    None. Just the "privilege" of paying for almost a year's bill in advance.

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Why not simply ask them to refund your credit?

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,433 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You can still pay by DD when you receive half yearly bill, that's how I do mine

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,859 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Our water bill went up to £799 this year, and even though the account was already more than £500 in credit, they decided to increase the direct debit.

    that can happen with easy justification. You haven't given us enough information to say whether it is fair or unfair or not.

    For example, if you didn't have the credit, then the forward pricing would likely see an even higher direct debit amount needed.

    I asked for this sharp practice to be raised as a complaint, I've had no reply of course.

    You would probably have better luck by explaining why you think it's wrong.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.