We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cannot use Chase on new phone!

Got an iPhone 17 today. All apps transferred. Went to login to Chase account, which I keep for my shopping spending.


I was asked for my phone number but wasn't accepted.


I telephoned Chase but they wanted details of my driving licence or passport.
I have neither! I haven't had need of a passport for 30 years and gave up my driving licence last year.

I was told that there was no way round this so I have to go into my old phone - fortunately I haven't yet reset it - and close my Chase account.

Surely this can't be right? Am I the only person who has neither passport or driving licence?

Anyway, it seems I must look for a similar account for my shopping!

«1

Comments

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 June at 7:20AM

    That may be frustrating, but it may also be Chase’s actual process rather than a call-centre error. Chase’s accepted ID list is quite narrow: passport, UK driving licence or EU national ID card. As Chase is app-only, they seem to rely heavily on photo ID when re-verifying a customer on a new device.

    Banks etc. are heavily regulated and need to show due diligence around 'know your customer' to prevent money laundering etc. so requiring a photo ID is their response.

  • AnnieP6
    AnnieP6 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic

    Any ideas for an alternative account to set up to pay just for weekly shop on my watch?

  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June at 11:01PM

    What attracted you to Chase other than paying for shopping using your watch?

    Is it the fact it was app only? Or are you open to using an account from a bricks and mortar bank?

    I know very little about Chase, but on these boards I have seen mention of savings rates, ability to use the account in the USA without forex fees and the fact you can open multiple accounts in preparation of you doing a bank switch.

    Btw: opening an account with another bank be it app only or a bricks and mortar outfit, will most likely require you to provide photo ID. There might be some banks that allow government documents that don't have a photo but you would need to look into the ID requirements of every bank to find out which ones allow this. Or maybe some helpful forumite might point you in the right direction.

    Edited to add: should you consider switching your main account to another bank, in the process getting a switch bonus, before you do so, make sure you have a 2nd Chase account open, just incase. If you not aware, closing your one and only Chase account means you end your relationship with them forever and you cannot open another Chase account.

    Sorry 2nd edit: I am with First Direct and when changing phones I need to de-register the app on my old phone before registering it on my new phone: So I googled:

    Chase app do you need to deregister it before installing on a new phone?

    The results suggest you don't need to de-register your app on the old phone but you need to:

    [Because of security requirements, you will likely need to re-verify your identity by taking a selfie and uploading a photo ID.]

    I guess that means you need photo ID and perhaps even a selfie?

  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Try deleting the app and reinstalling. When you’re asked for your mobile telephone number do not enter a country code and don’t use spaces, symbols or brackets. It should be in the format 07654321987.

  • steven141
    steven141 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    There is also Kroo which are quite good and pay interest on the current account and pots but they may need photo ID as well failing that you could try applying for a Lloyds Ultra credit card 1% cashback for a year and pay it off in full every statement.

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,480 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 June at 6:37AM

    That's just ApplePay or GooglePay, right? So any account with a debit or credit card that can be added to those.

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 June at 6:40AM

    If you look in the app on your old phone do they have your phone number registered?

    Some of the old fashioned banks let you open accounts with other forms of ID, you might be better off just getting a passport as that will make it much easier to open any other accounts you might want.

  • M25
    M25 Posts: 423 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    When I first installed my Chase app I had to use photo ID and take a live selfie.

    Same thing when reinstalling the app.

  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    The process for re-registering a new device is the same as registering for the first time except they already have some of your details on file. All the online banks verify you against photo ID. It's the trade off for a lack of branch presence.

    Do you bank with anyone else besides Chase who does offer Google/Apple pay?

    There was a thread on a similar subject discussing something similar to this recently which I'll link to. Various options are to apply for a passport (useful to have photo ID even if you never intend to travel abroad). Alternatively, some other High Street banks accept alternate forms of non-photo ID

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If giving up the driving license was voluntary then the easiest way around this problem is just to get another one (even if you have no intention of driving).

    There may be valid arguments starting "Why should I…." but the simple matter is that having Government-issued photo ID will make things far less fraught.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.