We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

bond ladder - now or later?

245

Comments

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    How much do gilt prices fluctuate generally? Specifically its taken a little longer than I’d hoped to transfer the cash over to AJ Bell. they just received it but not showing up yet. Likely won’t appear until end of day or perhaps Monday.

    sensible thing is be patient and wait until monday. But if it shows up over the weekend, is there any risk of significant drift from the prices the lategenxer tool shows (assume they’ll be Friday prices) vs Monday when it gets executed?

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,861 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 August at 1:08PM

    Generally? Generally gilts move by a handful of basis points at a time. They're a lot less volatile than shares, for example.

    Large changes in gilt prices tends to mean significant changes in the political situation. Not necessarily domestic politics.

    So if the UK chose this weekend to announce a General Election, say, or the US invaded Greenland, that could have a big effect.

    Edit to add: the first three replies to this thread are the sort of thing I'm talking about.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 921 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    As I recall when buying gilts with AJ Bell on their website, you can only specify the £ amount, not the amount of units.

    However if getting the exact amount of units is important to you then you can do this over the phone but you'll pay much higher charges for that.

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    and of course they clear it at 10 minutes to 5pm on a Friday :P

    do I spend time at the weekend setting up the buy or wait until the market is open? I think I’ll have a go tomorrow

  • I believe you can only buy gilts when the market is open, so not at the weekend or holidays. First thing Monday morning bright and early.

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    ah you’re right. I tried to do one just now and when you go to review order it says the market is closed and you can’t do a limit order on gilts.

    one question before monday then

    eg for TG29 the gilt ladder tool is sayimg I want 26.34 units at a cost of 2406.17. clean price 91.32, dirty price 91.33.

    in AJ Bell deal page I only get this:

    IMG_2732.jpeg

    so does that mean I put in the 2406.17 figure - no way to put in a number of units?

  • RogerPensionGuy
    RogerPensionGuy Posts: 985 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    However some platforms do a fill or kill order and you put price range in you like, it may capture a slight low spot if it floats for a few minutes I guess maybe.

  • Yes, enter the value you have calculated. From memory you can only buy your order value and not the number of units. Also, (from memory) the dirty price will be shown on the final order. Since Streamlit uses the last trading day closing (dirty) price don't expect the exact number of units as calculated - but it will be close enough.

    Remember the £5 fee for purchasing. As your screenshot shows, exclude this fee value from the order and you should be good to go.

    After executing your order the gilt can take up to 30 minutes to show up in your portfolio.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,409 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    I bought through the Scottish Widows platform. There again you can only state an amount, not the number of units. They automatically deduct the £5 charge, so don’t deduct it yourself, or you will have a cash balance of £5 (like I did!)

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • GenX0212
    GenX0212 Posts: 338 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Don't you need to maintain a small cash balance to pay for platform charges anyway? Otherwise they may end up selling some of your bonds on you?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.