We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Octopus IOF Not charging battery

After Octopus paused my discharge yesterday , to help the grid, today it has not allowed charge by1330 and the battery percentage is 18%. Bearing the mind that if , I get max solar before 1600 I might get up to 80% by then I can't help the grid at 1600-1900 indeed I could eventually end up buying power at peak rates. Yesterday they suggested that I could lose 50p by changing to discharging at a lower rate,

A typical Intelligent Octopus Flux customer will earn around 50p less than usual tonight – if that’s a big deal for you, you can tell us here and we’ll credit your account in the next week. Thank you for helping keep the system in balance, today and every day! 

Not impressed today .

4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,899 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    That's probably worth an email to Customer Services. If it's affecting every IOG customer they'll know by now but if it's just you they might not.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 14,201 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Sadly I am out for a while so can't fully engage with them , but sods law it is clouding over home too 🙄

    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,898 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 26 June at 4:50PM

    What happens if you increase your reserve to 80% or 100%. Last summer, I used to be able to force charge by manually increasing the reserve, although Octopus would reset it back to 20% after a while. I used to try to encourage mine to charge during the day from solar when sunny so I wasn't incurring conversion losses. You still have some limited control on IOF 😉

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 14,201 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Not with Givenergy you have to leave IOF and rejoin later (only temporary though) I disconnected then tried using the GE app , it was in a right two and eight. 15 minutes ago I appear to have the app behaving, and will go back to octopus when it hopefully shows as normal. I couldn't export after 1600 either multiple app resets and hopefully it will behave.

    The problem "might" have occurred when I went to fibre this morning, probably never get to the bottom of it. Also when solar was pushing 3.5k (inverter max is 2.6) it was pulling 300w from the grid after 1600 not exporting either weird.
    will report back later.

    Ta for the suggestion tho😎

    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,389 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    With the Solaredge integration they have a strange strategy. When they stop forcing charge, or discharge, the optimal way would be to change storage modes, which changes priorities. What Octopus tends to do instead to set charge or discharge rate to zero while leaving the mode unchanged.

    This can mean you have space in the battery, and an over supply of solar but because the charge rate is zero the battery isn't allowed to accept that surplus, which instead is simply wasted.

    Similarly if discharge rate is set to zero you can find the house drawing from the grid, even at peak times, even though there's plenty of juice in the battery.

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,898 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Apologies, I had a dumb moment and forgot other brands are supported on IOF, so was thinking 'Tesla'.

    Hope you get it sorted.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 14,201 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Well it looks like things appear to be working'normally' now , at least i can thank my luck for getting back on to IOF the day before they pulled it 😎, now when are they going to give us a free hour or two, I note agilistas are going to get paid again ☹️

    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.