We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
How do I contact this Child Benefit team with regards a Child Benefit rival claim
The situation is as follows - my ex and I split a number of years ago, since then my daughter spends roughly 20 nights out of a month with me and the other 10 nights with her mother. My ex has always been in receipt of the CB. I was working full time on a reasonable wage and was happy for her to receive the CB. Unfortunately I lost my job last year, I've got a new job now but my earnings are a fraction of what they were. The number of nights my daughter is with me hasn't changed and with this in mind I put a claim in to have the CB come to me. Both my ex and I filled out the paper work and my ex rang them to say she wouldn't block my claim to the CB. However, it seems that it's gone to an appeals team to make a decision based on the overnight stays. They of course are dealing with a huge backlog of cases to look at and it could take them months How I / we contact this team, it's seems crazy when both my ex and I are in agreement that I should get the CB but neither of us are getting the CB and it could be months before it's resolved, it's already been 3 months since we submitted the paperwork
Comments
-
I thought it was up to parents to agree who had the CB (I might be out of date though) - when DH stopped work and looked after offspring, he got the CB and hence the HRP - honestly can't remember how we did it but it wasn't complicated
0 -
Is your ex still getting cb at the moment, cant they just transfer you the money as it seems like you've agreed on this...
2 -
She hasn't been in receipt of it since I put my claim in for me to receive it
0 -
Why not? Have CB suspended the claim whilst they make a decision, or did she withdraw/end her claim?
The normal process would have been for her to end her claim before you made your claim (as only one of you can claim), then it would have gone straight through. If two people are both claiming, they then have to gather evidence and make a decision as to who should get it (as seems to have happened here)
Sorry, no idea how you would contact them other than using the regular contact number: 0300 200 3100
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.0 -
I think you just need to keep pushing them. Keep records of all comms and dates and make sure the claim is backdated when it is approved. You could try your local paper, national news and your MP to see if publicity will bring any traction.
0 -
Depending on age of your child, receiving child benefit also has implications for national insurance contributions and therefore for qualifying years for state pension. Just something to be aware of for both parents. Obviously depends what other benefits both of you are in receipt of too and level of earnings.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards