We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tyre exploded!

Sapindus
Sapindus Posts: 831
Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

I need a new wheelbarrow tyre/wheel - I was on a work call earlier and heard a bang and couldn't think what it was until I went out in the garden just now…

IMG_2812.JPG
«1

Comments

  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm sure I've seen spare wheels for sale somewhere, apart from ordering one to be delivered…?

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,472
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite

    Well, you might get one at the nearest garden centre, but they're unlikely to have much choice. Remember, pneumatics are easier to push than puncture proof.

    Cheapest I could find with good feedback was on the Bay, but didn't look long:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175541451629?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338690633&toolid=20006&customid=ec20fa8439571da0674f90b9b638e7d0%7C%7C&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1d_TxKRncQBGuVsjzAS06lQ27&gclid=ec20fa8439571da0674f90b9b638e7d0&loc_physical_ms=133662

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Do tyre places sell them? I just have this image in my mind of seeing a rack of tyres and a little wheelbarrow wheel at the end.

    I've always been scared pumping up my car tyres in case one went bang, presumably car tyres are made to heat up because they are whizzing away on the road. Never occurred to me to put the wheelbarrow in the shade!

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,472
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite

    Yes, my garage does wheelbarrow tyres, and they're somewhat chunkier than the cheap, ones sold in DIY sheds.

    The price reflects the £60/hour they pay themselves, though!

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,360
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    My garage used to sell them. Haven't needed to ask for a while.

    Or a tyre place.

    We are lucky enough to still have a family hardware store that has everything from years back in their store. Wonderful place.

    What about building suppliers. They cater for the building trade. Also seem to be able to obtain most things.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 6,874
    Twentieth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Amazon is another option

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,472
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite

    Sapindus: Never occurred to me to put the wheelbarrow in the shade!

    Without wishing to be rude, the tyre looks very perished, so it was liable to go at any time.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Ha ha very true! I have been thinking for ages I should get a new one. Well the barrow has been held together with rope for 20 years.

    Toolstation had what looked like the right thing but when I got there it didn't have an axle. I had to hacksaw the bolt off as it was so rusted, or I didn't understand how it was fixed, but anyway I have found one on ebay with the right numbers on the side of the tyre and comes with an axle.

    Too hot for barrowing stuff anyway.

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Tyres should never be exposed to sunlight as the rubber degrades and that one is severely degraded / cracked. Obviously impossible in the real world but keeping them out of the sun as much as possible helps. I remember we used to keep aircraft tyres on a rack with a cover to protect them from UVs even in indoor storage.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.