We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Looking to sell next year - get work done or leave it?

2

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,221 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Most cases you won't get back what you put in, people typically underestimate the cost of work. If you have connections to the trades and so can get mates rates etc then it's a different story.

    One thing it can do however is increase the speed of sale and certainly some would rather make slightly less profit but be on the road to completion in a couple of months than active a 2% more net money but it take a year to sell.

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Not too worried about speed of sale, houses on our street get snapped up if priced right. My plan would be to price it around 235k but intending to accept an offer of as low as 220k so they feel like they have a bargain, which they will have. No mates in the trade, single female who has lived here since 1999, in those days stress wasn't a thing for me, with house buying anyway but now I need to make it as stress free as possible. I have a house full of what would be clutter to others so the plan is stick a load of stuff in storage for a few months so that it actually looks like a family could live in it 🤣

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Declutter to the point of the house looking bare. People can not see through clutter!

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thats the plan, I'll be renting a storage unit 🤣, I'll need until spring to do it so have started already.

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • woogeroo
    woogeroo Posts: 4 Newbie
    Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

    I'm kind of in the same boat; 120 year old terraced house that we intend to sell in the next 6 months. It was originally a probate property, so it's had a fully rewire, extensive re-plastering and re-flooring in the last 6 years. It could still do with some more decoration and tbh a new kitchen and bathroom.

    What we're definitely doing before selling is getting a new front door and getting some long overdue work done to fix our front garden wall, hopefully at least making the house not look such a wreck from the cover photo on Rightmove. It'll still be a bit of a work in progress, but hopefully the price will make it attractive compared to the neighbours.

  • Tabieth
    Tabieth Posts: 570 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I bought my house last year. It is a 2-up, 2-down, mid terrace which had been a neglected rental property. The owners did the important and structural stuff which would have scared me off (new roof, fixed the damp issues, new front & back doors and double glazed windows). The rest they left which suited me as I picked my own kitchen, bathroom and kitchen, flooring and paint. I don’t think I’m that unusual in this regard. I didn’t want to do a major renovation, I was more than happy get it re plastered and pick exactly how I want my house to look.

    I’d leave the personal preference stuff for the new owner to do, they might not like your choices and so anything you do may not be a plus for selling. I’d focus on the damp as that is likely to either put people off entirely and they’ll want a reduction in price.

  • Flo87
    Flo87 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts

    Just let it how is, as the potential buyers will see directly the state and not get a surprise when they the Survey, especially for damp where majority of the people use that probe that's design for wood.

    When I`ve bought my 140 years old 2 up/2 down terrace I choose to view only the ones that didn`t had a "refurb" for sale.

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 179 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    there is only one way to answer these sort of questions

    would you as a buyer, buy the property if the work was not done?
    yes? Then consider if that means your market is limited only to those looking for a "do'er upper"
    no? Then do the work or you won't get a wide range of buyers

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 June at 4:38PM

    Thanks, in my current situation not sure thats a useful comparison. I purchased the house when it hadn't been touched for decades, original roof, replacement 70s windows, no heating etc. I want a bigger garden, thats why I am moving. I never want to have to do any work in a house other than planned maintenance ever again if can help it.

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 16,034 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 26 June at 5:22PM

    Ask agents round to see value and any advice.

    I've sold 3.5 houses over past few years. In all cases agents said do nothing except tidy.

    Including my late brother's house, hardly touched since he bought in 1971

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.