We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Looking to sell next year - get work done or leave it?

Looking to sell my 120 yr old terrace next Spring. I've done alot of work over the years and some more recent work on the roof and chimney.

The house is in general good condition for its age, new boiler, heating/double glazing etc but some of the work was done nearly 20 years ago so despite keeping it looking nice there is work to do.

The main bedroom is untouched from when i moved in pretty much, woodchip wallpaper needs removing, plaster skim , carpet and redecoration.

The kitchen is north facing and keeping damp at bay in that room is a constant battle, I think some work needs to be done with the external wall (there is a 2m wall on one side of the garden as the house is on a hill, I think its related to that so maybe tricky to fix.

When I bought the house in 1999 it was the worst house on the street, I'd now say its top 20%, if I do say so myself the garden is beautiful.

I'm tired of spending money on it and getting work done is so stressful so was thinking price it reasonably with a view to taking a lower offer . I would say £5k (which I don't really have spare if I am selling up) would get it perfect and if that was done it would be worth around £240k.

Thoughts? What would you do? My biggest concern is that a house needing work puts people off?

"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
«13

Comments

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,335 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Try it on the market and see what people say.

    Buyers have their own ideas so other than maintenance if people can move in comfortably and not have anything immediate to do that's what's needed.

    Sadly I've sold 2 houses with lovely gardens and both were tarmac over. It sells them though

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,775 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Explain to 2 or 3 local estate agents that you plan to sell soon, and ask if they'll do a market appraisal. i.e. Visit the property and give you their opinion on what does or doesn't need doing before you market the property, (and how much the property might sell for at the moment)

    They talk with prospective property buyers every day; they probably do multiple accompanied viewings each week; and they ask viewers for feedback - so they'll have a good idea of what buyers are looking for and/or expect.

    I guess a lot depends on your target market - for example, if it's younger couples, both working, first time buyers - they might want a place that's all done, because they don't want the hassle of DIY or hiring tradesmen.

    But other types of buyers might enjoy buying a 'project' property, which they can decorate to their own taste etc.

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I personally wouldn't do the work and would market the property at a price that reflects that.

    If a perfect property is £240k, market yours lower at say £220-225k.

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,273 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks guys,

    I wouldn't call it a project property. Well its in Sheffield so possibly first time buyer house depending on how much you earn! Getting a few EAs in is a good plan. I'm hoping to move to a house of a similar price and my mortgage is minimal so would be happy with £220k although as we've seen with petrol alot can happen in a year!

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,273 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Oh no, I'd be horrified, if I could do one thing it would be to pick my garden up and take it with me. I am very friendly with some of my neighbours so if I were to visit I'd have to shield my eyes 😂

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,273 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Wow, I don't think I'd be that fussy, alot of it is in pots so I'd be taking all of those with me, would probs try and transplant my peony tree as well.

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 26 June at 10:09AM

    Bonkers! Our last garden was the best in the street, Three years on and it looked like the Amazon rainforest on a bad rain day.

    Did I care? The garden we moved to had more potential.More fundamentally, our old garden belonged to the nice people who paid us money for it,. so what they did (mainly sport) was none of my business.

    sammyjammy: as we've seen with petrol a lot can happen in a year!

    Well, in 2025 44% of property put up for sale didn't sell, and while my crystal ball's rubbish, I can't see reasons for an immediate improvement!

    Keen pricing may get you further than numerous tweaks.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,335 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Pots are the answer. Take all your favourites. But warn the removers first.

    They did all mine and kindly put them as a border in my new blank space including a deformed gnome! 😉

    My only regret was they made the move difficult so I didn't let them have the £500 of tools I was going to leave and they tarmacked over a big important peony that would have made them a few hundred online and a musk rose but I was able to replace that

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Damp issues will come up in a survey so expect after an offer for offers to be reduced or withdrawn.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.