We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Court date vs Gladstones next month - WS done. Advise please
Hi All, Followed the guidance and done everything so far and its all followed the usual script.
Court date sent for end of July.
Small background:
Gladstones have a photograph of my vehicle in a disabled bay without a disabled badge back in 2024. Vehicle observed by warden for 2 minuites before ticket issued. First time taking mother in law out for dinner in my car, totally forgot about the badge (she is blind). Left the vehicle and slowly walked her over to the shopping centre entrance, heard someone shouting accross the car park as they had watched us park (the warden). Got my mother in law accross the car park to shelter from the rain and ran back over to the car with the badge from her bag. Spoke to the warden who said nothing would come of it and he would get it cancelled as he had just printed it. However this never happened and we are now going court.
Deadline for WS was 22nd June 4pm as set out by the judge. I had mine set however didnt submit on the hope gladstones would send me theres (they didnt). Submitted mine at 3pm on the 22nd ahead of the deadline. In detail following multiple templates on here along with my own evidence and information. Today I receive a letter in the post dated 23rd June (after the deadline) which is the gladstones WS. They missed the deadline, document even dated after this. WS also notifying me they wont be attending court. However the entire WS is targeting mine, going through every paragraph to try disprove or shut my evidence down. I feel because of this I am now at a major disadvantage going to court alone. Is there anything I can do with this? Ultimately I can give my voice to the judge and go through evidence but without them in person I dont feel I will have as much weight and this WS twists and turns my evidence to fit their narrative.
Usual rubbish from the WS from the paralegal whos name appears on here often. I was offered £135 settlement last week which I turned down with gladstones as I would rather lose in court if I am going to lose.
Whats the best course of action? Anything I can do regarding the WS or do I just go and fight in court as planned
Comments
-
"However the entire WS is targeting mine, going through every paragraph to try disprove or shut my evidence down."But they always do that. It's just a template (not specially produced for your case) and nobody ever worries about that rubbish from Gladys!
At the hearing object to their (far too late) WS - which means they breached the court directions - and ask the judge to consider why the C supplied no witness evidence from the on site ticketer, who saw the blue badge and brazenly:
- lurked & watched the blind passenger be escorted, and
- lied to you!
"
without them in person I don't feel I will have as much weight"The opposite is true. The judge will give your oral evidence far more weight. Ask for your costs too!
PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD2 -
Thank you! I did have a question regarding costs as didnt put it in the WS other than a statement at the end per the template. Do I just sort this on the day if and when I win ?
Thanks
0 -
You need to add your statement of costs, same as everyone else with a hearing, and take a copy of it plus proof on the day too
1 -
You can email a signed costs sheet over now. Take proof of salary with you on the day along with printouts of everything (both sides submissions) or your laptop & charger.
PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD1 -
Thank you all, appreciate the help!
0 -
Left the vehicle and slowly walked her over to the shopping centre entrance, heard someone shouting accross the car park as they had watched us park (the warden). Got my mother in law accross the car park to shelter from the rain and ran back over to the car with the badge from her bag.
At the hearing make sure you use the term "de minimis".
There is a convention that the law does not involve itself in "trifling matters" of so little significance it would be a waste of the court's time.
Not displaying a blue badge for 2 minutes is certainly a trifle.
With any luck this is all you'll need to bring up, assuming common sense still exists in the judiciary, and anything else won't even get a look in.
Take your blue badge with you. A prop would be useful.
Are you both going? Think of it as an unusual day out! 😁2 -
Thank you! Had not heard this term before. Yes currently just me and my partner going. Not dragigng her mom along. Unfortunately she is blind but does refuse to go out alone or use a stick so very slow moving and difficult. Hopefully things are easy and can get thrown out. Currently my employer doesnt want to let me out of the business to attend as im on annual leave for 2 weeks the day after but all being good we can get a win here!
1 -
Is there any example cost sheets or information on what is and isnt allowed? Struggling to find on the foroum, thank you
0 -
Are you planning not to attend? That is a bad idea, you will lose unless you have already excused yourself from the hearing and asked for the case to be heard "on the papers".
2 -
Might need a good old trawl through the results but search the forum for:
costs assessment defendant £24
PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


