We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Export Supply Number???

My smart meter measures export as well as import and the export reading has been assigned its own MPAN. But my export statements not only show this MPAN but also a full supply number. The bottom line of my supply number is my export MPAN but the top line reads:

08 0482 781

Is this normal or a quirk of my export provider, Eon Next. It seems to be causing them all kinds of trouble. For example, last December they applied a Warm Home Discount to my export account then had to impose a counter charge to remove it. More recently they processed another change as a house move and started sending bills to "The Occupier" which treated my export meter readings as if they were readings from an import meter! Basically they are in a real mess with this aspect of their billing system; how do other export providers handle this?

Reed

Comments

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,899 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm the same - I have a single smart meter and on my Octopus statements, I have full supply numbers for both import and export.

    Sometimes they generate completely separate bills for import and export, but mostly these are generated as a single statement, but contain separate sections for the import and export respectively, as if they are different 'supplies'.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 3,014 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    I think the top line identifies the region and other data. The number in the third box differs, in my case, I had assumed that differentiated import and export but perhaps it means something else.

  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 5,899 Ambassador
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I googled a little further, and found this useful image. My understanding from this image is the MPAN is made up from the Supply number:

    meter-point-admin-number.png
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,932 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    EON Next use the same Kraken back-end that Octopus do, so it's strange that EON are having trouble with something that Octopus handles well.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 5,941 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    @NedS Google search results give out-of-date answers regarding supply numbers. What's on the top line is changing

    supply number.jpg

    This is from https://business.totalenergies.uk/supply-number-format-changes

    @QrizB I wonder if Eon don't know how to work some less-common features of the Kraken back end, like dealing with export?

    Reed
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 3,014 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    That makes more sense. I couldn't work out how the line loss would be different for import and export, but now I see it is just a tariff identifier.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.