We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Energy Ombudsman - any experiences?

I wondered if anyone has any experiences (good or bad) of taking a business energy dispute to the ombudsman? I am trying to do this, but am struggling to get a deadlock letter so I can proceed.

I did speak with the ombudsman, who seemed very helpful on the phone, but then simply referred me to Citizens Advice to answer some specific questions, which I was surprised about

There is a bit of a saga with my energy billing that I won't go into now as I am trying to keep my blood pressure at bay. But having simply been given the CAB phone number, I am left wondering how effective the Ombudsman are in practice, and if I will simply be expending energy for little gain?

Comments

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Without knowing the detail of what 'specific questions' you were referred to CAB about and whether or not they are within the Energy Ombudsmans remit is impossible to say. They can only deal with what is in their remit.

    If you don't feel like giving further detail at present that's understandable but nobody can give a view with no information and not sure how other people's experience will help you.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,908 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Unless the OP has been particularly unfortunate, it's probably the same "erroneous transfer" problem that they've posted about on the Energy board:

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Yes sorry, it is all rather a mess and is that same issue.

    I asked about personal experiences as to whether the Ombudsman are as helpful as they appear to be. Or the fact that these are business matters, and without the same level of consumer rights means I may not be so fortunate.

    As soon as I can raise my dispute with them I will, I am just trying to get a feel for others experiences to get an inkling as to what I can expect.

  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I've seen suggestions on other boards here of what to do when you require a deadlock letter, but there is no response. I think this was on the travel forum regarding going to arbitration once you are in deadlock in a dispute with an airline.

    This has been to write that you appear to be in deadlock, so if you don't hear to the contrary within 14 days you will assume this to be the case and will approach the ombudsman to resolve the problem. I've no idea if an ombudsman would accept the case on this basis.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,908 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I've seen suggestions on other boards here of what to do when you require a deadlock letter, but there is no response.

    With the Energy Ombudsman, once eight weeks have passed from the date of your complaint you can refer it to the Ombudsman without a deadlock letter.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    It’s worthwhile remembering that ombudsmen are a form of ADR, they have to be neutral so they won’t offer either side in the dispute anything but the most basic advice.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.