We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Suzuki S-Cross gearbox
I am thinking of using Motability and of all the cars available - the Suzuki S-Cross looks the most suitable for us (I've had Suzukis for the last 20 years and like them)
Question - what is the AGS auto gearbox on the S-Cross like to use ?
I am used to Torque Converter boxes and prefer them for smoothness - my current Baleno (and Wifes Swift) both have superb 6 speed TC boxes… you genuinely can't feel the ratio change……
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
Comments
-
The clue is in the name - AGS, Auto Gear Shift - it's an automated manual. A manual box with a normal clutch, and a bunch of electronic actuators strapped to the side to change the gears and operate the clutch.
It's the same box as has been in the Vitara for the last four years. Shouldn't be hard to find either a Vitara or an S-Cross AGS to test-drive.0 -
Confusingly :
Thank you for your recent email to Suzuki GB Customer Services regarding the Suzuki S-Cross
I can confirm the latest 1.4 S-Cross is fitted with a standard auto box with torque convertor.
Chat GPT says :
For UK-spec Suzuki S-Cross models, the automatic gearbox is a 6-speed Automatic Gear Shift (AGS), but it's only offered on the 1.5L full hybrid version.
Here’s the breakdown:
- 1.4L Mild Hybrid: Comes with a 6-speed manual only. No automatic option.
- 1.5L Full Hybrid: Comes with a 6-speed automatic transmission only. Suzuki calls it an "automatic transmission" and groups both manual and auto under "6-speed transmission".
Key detail: The auto in the S-Cross Full Hybrid isn't a traditional torque-converter auto or CVT. It's an Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) - Suzuki brands it as AGS. It's essentially a manual gearbox with an automated clutch and shift mechanism.
So if you want an automatic S-Cross in the UK, you have to go for the 1.5 Full Hybrid. The mild hybrid 1.4 is manual only.
Suzuki website - shows Auto versions of mild hybrid !! and the 1.5 full hybrid has vanished completely
I assume that the 1.4 is the boosterjet ?
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
I'd not trust ChatGPT in this instance. It might be right, but it might not be……
1 -
Sounds like a visit to your local dealer will be your best bet. Look, prod, open bonnet, test drive.
2 -
OK I have heard from my local Suzuki Dealers - Suzuki Customer Services, unfortunately do not have a clue what they are talking about - The S-Cross 1.4 automatic has an AGS box - which is an "automated manual" !
So that's another car off my list……and Chat GPT got it right
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
If you're crossing brand new cars off your list JUST because they don't have a torque converter autobox, you're going to have a VERY, VERY short list.
TC slushboxes are superannuated tech. Dead. They commit the cardinal sin in today's motor industry of simply being inefficient.2 -
Yes the older 1.4 Boosterjet's had torque converter automatic gearboxes, but they don't make them anymore.
Their AGS is better that most older automated manual gearboxes I've driven. The AGS does creep like an auto should, where a lot of others just don't, when they don't creep it makes parking and reversing a headache.
They can feel a bit rough or jerking when shifting. Most find that they work best with some anticipation, so lifting off on the accelerator slightly when you feel it about to change helps.
As already mentioned, if you looking for a new car with a torque converter gearbox these days, you're in trouble. They just sap too much fuel so push emissions up sky high.
I think MG fit a three speed TC to their hybrids, but from what I heard they need an expensive service in the 4th year.
There is some good news though, most gearbox manufacturers have put a lot of effort onto the alternatives. Sure early versions weren't great but these days they seem to have gotten on top of a lot of the issues with the earlier versions.
They dumped dry clutch DCT's for wet clutch ones and CVT's have become much better to drive. You probably would find it hard to tell a CVT these days unless you clogged the accelerator hard all the time.
I've been driving a wet clutch DCT for the last 6 years and it's been great. The only niggles is it does hang on to first on really cold morning a little too long for my liking, but I understand it's trying to warm up.
It also "learns" shift patterns and twice now it's needed a reset as it starts to shift in odd places. It's easy to do, no tools needed. I just have to turn on the ignition, hold the accelerator down for 30 seconds, then turn off the ignition and let the car systems power down by getting out and locking the doors.
Mines in for it's big service later this week, the gearbox service is less that £200, it's just fresh fluid and a reset of the clutches.
0 -
There is some good news though, most gearbox manufacturers have put a lot of effort onto the alternatives. Sure early versions weren't great but these days they seem to have gotten on top of a lot of the issues with the earlier versions.
I've been super-impressed with the Renault hybrid system in the Jogger. It drives very much like a much like its a torque converter slush box mated to a much larger (2.5 / 3 litre) engine. It's all pretend - it's just software at the end of the day - but they clearly invested a lot of time and effort to get that bit spot on.
1 -
I've driven the hybrid Clio a few times, same engine/gearbox arrangement as the Jogger and I have to say it's good.
What's your trips and MPG like?
I've read a few reviews and they tend rate the gear arrangement a bit hit and miss, but I never thought anything but good about it.
They took a punt on something new for their hybrids rather than CVT's and it's paid off. Not only do Renault and Dacia use it, Nissan are starting to buy into the system as well.
They reckon they are putting this hybrid system into the Sandero soon though I read it's for the Stepway only to start with.
There's a new Spring EV coming based on the new Twingo rather than soggy leftovers and the Five is already lined up for some new battery tech from the Twingo as well.
Dacia seem to be on point with their models now. I've had an older Sandero and it was very last century but I've just had a new Duster on holiday hire for a week, though a straight petrol manual. Calling it good is an understatement. It looks really sharp now, drives really well and the interior is just right for piling kids, dogs and the likes in. It's nice enough but you wouldn't think twice about hosing it out!
My Mrs now wants a Duster, a hybrid in white. I never thought anything would tempt her away from her Vitara.
In the last few years I would have said you bought a Dacia with your wallet alone but these days I'm not so sure that's true.
1 -
Although the ZF 8HP’s reach up to ~98% efficiency versus modern manuals typically sit around 94–97%, and fuel consumption is 3%-5% better. I think you are getting confused with auto's from the 1970's
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
