We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Critical illness claim

2»

Comments

  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    If you provided them with letters detailing the degree of hearing loss and they are then obtaining a GP report this would lead me to believe they think the claim is valid and are just proceeding with the standard process. Getting a doctors report can be as much about checking that mistruths weren't told when applying as they are about getting full details of the condition you are claiming for.

    I'd read this as being a good sign.

    Good luck.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 July at 7:16AM

    I would be surprised if they would make an advance payment if there was any material concerns however some customers can be selective of what evidence they submit and things get more ropey when the insurer gathers its own evidence - note not talking about fraud, that goes down a whole different path.

    Similarly it also depends on how much underwriting was done at quote stage, if full medical reports were obtained then matters are quicker, if they weren't obtain then they get obtained at claim stage to ensure all relevant declarations were made so its as much an indemnity check as a claim check

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    I sent them basically everything I had to date. Full SAR request all letters and reports and my initial puretone test. I explained the stress I was under away surgery etc and they offered an advance payment to take pressure off whilst they get necessary reports etc…

    I am worried sick tbh as if it’s declined I genuinely don’t know how I will cope financially as I won’t be able to work and have children all under 16.

    I can’t thank you enough replying.

    Do you think if it was an no they wouldn’t have given the adv payment?

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    do you think so?

    I really am beyond stressed, feel physically sick and barely getting through the days.

    I have never had negative thoughts before until now and only thing keeping me going is my children.

    can’t thank you enough replying.

  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Can you imagine how difficult it would be for an insurance company to get back the money they'd paid out if they regularly had to ask for it back? It'd be a nightmare for them.

    I honestly don't think they'd have provided the advanced payment if they thought they were going to decline the claim. The fact that they've had such detailed information prior to making the payment to you also suggests they obviously believe they will be paying out, otherwise why would they give you an advance payment and state it doesn't need to be repaid if they decline the claim? They wouldn't!

    I know these situations are difficult but I think you are in a very good position based on your situation.

  • Hearingloss2026
    Hearingloss2026 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Thank you for replying.

    My GP report is now with the insurer and my specialist report was posted last week but hasn’t arrived with them as of yet.

    My specialist did want to speak to me direct and explain areas of the report so I was not upset or anything came as a shock. They explained my condition does meet the policy wording and it is permanent.

    I’m hoping that his report is enough for them to agree however can’t help think they will look for reasons to not pay out. I’ve seen so many comments on the forum saying insurance companies have been very challenging.

    Having the forum has been a great help and your advise has genuinely been comforting

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    The stats indicate 90% - 93% critical illness claims are accepted so it's not as bad as you might think.

    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.